Tresiba experiment

I did try splitting the injections (at the same time) one day, because I find taking it all at once stings quite a bit for about half an hour (even though it’s not supposed to sting). That didn’t work for me, but I also only did it once.

Did you have as dramatic an improvement as I’ve had with splitting the dose?

If I continue to experience success, I may try your strategy of one dose split into two shots to see if it works. At the moment, I don’t want to mess things up!!

1 Like

Very good news!

1 Like

Yes!

2 Likes

@MickiB, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you tonight also!

Do not hesitate to start your own thread on your switch to Tresiba, if you wish, btw. This way, you can get very specific feedback to what is happening to you, and you can also share your full experience along the way, hopefully, to Tresiba. I am sure you will get many people to respond to your concerns, we have many Tresiba users.

Jen- So glad splitting the dose seems to be working for you! Last night my low was not as bad as the previous night (only took 15 g of carb to treat it) but have still been up and down quite a bit since (including going low again in the late morning). I am going to give the new reduced (by 2 units) dose one or two more days to settle in and if I still haven’t achieved that rumored Tresiba flat-ish line, I may try splitting the dose as well. Still missing my pump like crazy! Good luck going back to work tomorrow and I hope we can both get some much needed sleep tonight!

1 Like

I would definitely give splitting it a try. I can’t explain it, but wow, things are so much more stable.

I don’t miss my pump when I’m at home, but I do miss it when I’m out and about. We’ll see how stable I am tomorrow. I think that will play a large part in whether I miss my pump. If I just have to bolus for lunch and am stable the rest of the day, then great. If I have to do multiple boluses thorughout the day, that’ll be a bigger issue. So far today I’ve eaten twice and done four boluses (the other two were just 0.5 unit micro-corrections).

Good luck to you tonight! I hope your numbers find some stability soon. It’s exhausting being on the rollercoaster all day for days on end!

3 Likes

I found when I split it at morning and night I was getting consistent 24-hour coverage, but so far I think I am seeing the same thing taking it at one time in a split dose. We’ll see if it continues. One thing I find with diabetes is that every time I try something new it works amazingly well for a week or 2 and then everything goes south. If I reconnected my pump I’d probably see the best results of my life, and then in 2 weeks or so complain about all the same infusion set/site problems that caused me to disconnect it in the first place!

2 Likes

Yeah that’s pretty standard human psychology across all aspects of life…

Get a new job, new girlfriend, new car, new insulin, new anything and it’s the greatest thing in the world for a while, then it isn’t…

1 Like

Today has continued to be great, maybe two dots touching the upper and lower limits of my target range and that’s it. In total I did six shots of Fiasp (two for food, my other meal I didn’t cover). Today has been a very low-carb day (maybe 20-25 grams in total), and so I’ve only used about 5.5 units of bolus insulin. I also had to eat one glucose tablet for a low. All in all, nothing to complain about.

Tomorrow will be a long day—I have work, then a few hours to kill, then an evening class, so I’ll be out from 7:15 AM until about 10:15 PM. I’ll bring lunch and dinner and a few snacks with me as usual, so I won’t be eating anything mysterious. I’ll be doing quite a bit more walking than I have been on most days over the holidays, since I use public transit to get around.

I’ll be very curious to see how tonight and tomorrow go.

5 Likes

As will we all…

2 Likes

Last night I went to bed at 6.0 mmol/L, rose to 6.9 mmol/L (I was headed up when I went to bed after treating a low after dinner with one glucose tablet) by midnight where I stayed until about 4:30, at which point I dropped until I was about 3.9 mmol/L when I woke up at 6:30. So not a bad night at all, but I did drop by 3 mmol/L (54 mg/dl).

Skipping breakfast this morning just because I don’t feel that great. Also getting a cab to work because it’s pouring out and I have a 30 pound backpack to carry. Hopefully the rest of today is steady. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today wasn’t as spectacular as yesterday, but wasn’t bad. I had to do tiny corrections throughout the morning to hover near the top of my target range. Then tonight, while in class, I rose from about 5.8 mmol/L to 9.0 mmol/L and couldn’t correct (I spent the break talking to the instructor about disability accommodations, so not time for a bathroom break). That’s definitely one time I do miss my pump, as well as with all the corrections through the morning at work.

I’m keeping the same 10/10 split dose for now and will see what happens tonight. I did give a small correction when I got home just so that I’d be within target and not have an alarming CGM all night.

3 Likes

Not being able to bolus/correct discreetly anywhere is definitely the most annoying thing about going off the pump! It makes me feel like I’ve stepped into a time machine and gone back to 1995 (even though I have no idea what that was like and I know they had pumps in 1995). I’m always surprised when I read people complaining that the pump makes their diabetes visible. The pump hid it long as I was careful, injecting is way harder to hide!

2 Likes

Nah, in 1995 you took a shot at breakfast and a shot at dinner and that was it for most people. No corrections and carb counting throughout the day. The downside was that meals and snack had to be exactly on time, and lows from NPH were nasty.

But I agree, the pump makes diabetes far more discreet and less visible than shots (and I’m saying this as someone who is comfortable doing shots in public places).

1 Like

Last night was pretty good. My correction brought me down to about 4.2 mmol/L, where I hovered for several hours until 2:00 AM, at which point I dropped low. I slept through my Dexcom alarming, so that low continued for three hours. But once I treated it with two glucose tablets, it came up to 5.4 mmol/L and stayed there. Since waking, I’ve drifted from there to 4.9 mmol/L and am about to eat a low-carb breakfast (bacon and eggs).

3 Likes

I’ve been trying a single dose and starting to have the same problems I had when I first tried Tresiba - it is very strong overnight/when I wake up (way too strong), and then drops off in the afternoon. If I decrease my dose I think I will have worse afternoon/night problems. What I’m wondering is if actually the dose is too small and I am inducing an early peak and shorter duration? I have been taking 16 units/day and was taking closer to 20 on Levemir. Or maybe it just should be split for some people…

1 Like

I’m still taking a 10/10 split dose.

I had a pretty good day yesterday. I needed to take several corrections throughout the morning to not go high. The afternoon was good. I went slightly high after dinner and took a correction before bed, but it did nothing (a correction before bed the previous night dropped me to the bottom of my target range). I rose to 10 mmol/L for most of the night and then starting at around 3:00 AM dropped by 3 mmol/L by morning. So even with the split, I’m having shadows of what was happening before, but nowhere near as bad.

Next thing for me will be hormones hitting probably in the next few days. And also, I’ve been lazy the past few days and have gotten cabs to work rather than taking transit. That’s a budding habit I need to nip in the bud soon, so hopefully as of tomorrow I’ll be commuting.

2 Likes

Are you trying a single split dose, or a single dose in one injection?

My guess would be, like everything else with diabetes, some people need a split dose and others do OK with one dose (I would think the insulin being strong in the early morning would be a good thing for anyone who has issues with dawn phenomenon, for example).

I’m splitting the dose into 2 injections taken at the same time. I’ll keep trying because so many people seem to think there should be no need to split Tresiba, and I’ll either confirm they’re right or prove them wrong!

2 Likes

Ah, today so far has been a roller coaster. I did a 2u bolus for breakfast, dropped to
2.7 mmol/L, treated that before heading into a meeting, and was 11 mmol/L when I got out.

2 Likes