This is new to me

Hmmmm, I have been having weird dreams , I wonder if that might be related, now does the blood sugar lead to the dream or the dream lead to the blood sugar? I’ll have to think on that

4 Likes

I turn my phone sound off at night (in fact it ends up turned off all the time) because I use an iPhone, so there is no choice; I used xDrip+ when I first got the G6 and the alarms on that could be controlled. I should go back to Android, the iPhone is turning into a disaster with the death of SugarMate.

3 Likes

I use an I phone, don’t know what xDrip+ or SugarMate is, but i count on the cgm to beep and wake me up when needed

2 Likes

@T1Allison
That story was not long enough! Where’s the telling of the nightmare? For reals, I expected more of you!
:upside_down_face:
(Sorry, off topic…)

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’ll try harder next time, LOL!

4 Likes

Does anyone have recommendations for treating DP while using MDI (i.e., no pump)? I seem to now have it pretty consistently and would love to have some sort of super insulin intervention aside from me waking up at 4am daily and shooting up 2u of Humalog. (I use Humalog and Lantus – am doing a split dose of Lantus – 1/2 lunchtime, 1/2 bedtime.) Thank you my diabetic genius friends - Jessica

1 Like

It (the Dexcom app) was waking me up too often; yes, ok, I’ve just gone over 180 but I’m flat now and then every time it goes below 180 and above 180 it tells me again. Duh, like I would like to get some sleep man and I will deal with this in the morning, promise.

1 Like

mine wakes me up when it goes over 250 just once and thats it or when under 70

2 Likes

Until I went back on the 'pod this morning that’s what I was doing and, indeed, that’s what I did:

Yep. (Fiasp in my case, but it doesn’t make any difference in this case,) Pumps do not help. Looping might help; having a computer do something totally obvious that we cannot do ourselves because we are blissfully sleeping, or so.

Currently not an option for most of us; hack it or…

Contrary to popular opinion waking up regularly during the night is no big problem. I can navigate to whereever I left the pen (I certainly leave the needle on) or the PDM, whack a unit or so, and go back to sweet dreams of my former life where I did all those things I should not have done, or not.

3 Likes

@jbowler I really get tired of the alarms on the way “back down”; is there a way to turn just the back down alerts off (Dexcom app and Sugarmate [I put my G6 on Tpal so Sugarmate still works])?

2 Likes

@JessicaD How do you split your Lantus, 50-50, 70-30?

1 Like

@TomH I split the Lantus 50/50 (7u lunch / 7u bed). If I am on a run of not working out much, I will bump the bedtime dose up by 1u to try to account for more marked dawn effects (it doesn’t work very well). I am wondering if there might be a more effective, recommended way to split to try to counter the dawn phenomenon.

@jbowler I’m not by any means glad you have this problem, too, but am heartened that I’m not the only one facing this challenge. My sleep quality is terrible and I pursue everything I can on the margins to try to improve what I can. Eliminating that brief time where I have the light of the phone on, bring out needle and Lantus vial, etc would be nice. But maybe not possible. I don’t think there’s any way I won’t wake up at 4am regardless (that just seems to be part of my sleep profile now). Ugh! and thank you - :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Using the iPhone “on-off” switch to turn alarms off hits SugarMate too, so I don’t notice either. iOS 15 has an option to disable “notifications” (which does disable the alarms) on a per-app basis; settings/notifications/[specific app]/“Sounds” slide-button, but that disables everything from the app so Dexcom can make no noise (same as my use of the on-off switch of course.)

SugarMate alarms don’t seem to have the same bug; menu/Alerts/Push Notifications but they are different; they add to the Dexcom ones, “These alerts are not meant to replace the alerts from the Dexcom app.” In practice they are more useful to me because they are based on trends.

My Dexcom alerts are all set not to sound (vibrate only) but the high alert is set to 180mg/dl; so I get the screen notification while driving but don’t get put into a position where I have to either put up with the alert repeat distracting me while driving because I can’t dismiss it or have to pull over in difficult driving conditions.

The bottom line is that I can’t find a way to make the whole thing work safely so I just turn off all alerts. It might be different with Android where there is a “car mode” in the OS.

1 Like

I tried all kinds of insulin combos to combat DP for 13 years. 3-4 days/wk BS over 200. Or lows in middle of night.
When I got my first pump in 2000 it was like a miracle. Totally gone with .3 @3:00am, .4@4:00am , .5@5:00am and .6 @6:00 and the rest of day until .2@10:00pm until 3am and start again. No way could I manage this on shots.
Not sure why I resisted pump for so long.

3 Likes