The things parents hear from their T1 children that break their hearts

So inspired by all of you. (And maybe more than a little teary-eyed.) And, I can only think about all the love that you have for your kiddos, and how tough they’re going to grow up to be (and not just because @ClaudnDaye is teaching them martial arts) but because they’ve met adversity and overcome it. Pretty much every day since their diagnosis.

When I think of all of the food bribery that goes on with kids in the non-diabetic world, it seems tough to have to do uncomfortable things and have there be limited rewards. It sounds like you are all coming up with good ideas of how to cope with the challenges you are facing.

And you’re not alone in hating it - I hate it too at times. It’s weird how it can be so business-as-usual sometimes, and other times be such a presence in the moment-by-moment life. Sleeping becomes this sacred, and occasionally unavailable resource. Eating, a challenge. Thanks to everyone here, I know The Force is out there, and eventually we will find it again. I hope you all find it for your kiddos too.

I was actually thinking of the what parents fear thread often this week, with the university in my town going back into session, and loads of drunk kids stumbling around town. And I kept coming back to the idea that many of the T1D kids here seem so much more mature than their non-D counterparts, I am hoping that there will be a carryover into their college years. I think the anecdotes from this thread reinforce my thoughts in that department.

3 Likes