The occasional sports/exercise quote

“Everyone is an athlete. The only difference is that some of us are in training, and some are not.”

- George A. Sheehan

1 Like

My dad was a classmate of his…

3 Likes

Two for one since it’s thanksgiving

“Gold medals aren’t really made of gold. They’re made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.”

“The 1st period is won by the best technician. The 2nd period is won by the kid in the best shape. The 3rd period is won by the kid with the biggest heart.”

– Dan Gable

2 Likes

Dodgeball is a sport of violence, exclusion, and degradation. So, when you’re picking players in gym class remember to pick the bigger, stronger kids for your team. That way you can all gang up on the weaker ones.

– Patches O’Houlihan

1 Like

Opposing Our Normal Way of Moving

The goal of yoga practice is the conscious relaxation of the movement muscles. Then the postural muscles and related parts of the skeleton can stretch and pass movement along through the movement chains from one part of the body to the next. Yoga exercises force us into an intense confrontation with ourselves, because they are both difficult and painful, and above all, they are the total opposite of our normal (automatic) way of moving.

Excerpted from:

Yoga: Critical Alignment:
Building a Strong, Flexible Practice through Intelligent Sequencing and Mindful Movement
by Gert van Leeuwen

3 Likes

“Doing your best requires only applying your current abilities. Becoming your best requires consistently working to improve those abilities.”

- Dennis Barker

3 Likes

@Nickyghaleb
Today is just the beginning. The birth of the beast.

“You’re off to great places,
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So… get on your way…!”

- Dr. Seuss - Oh the Places You’ll Go

5 Likes

:disappointed_relieved: That’s a tear of joy.

But you can’t see it past my perma-grin. :smiley:

2 Likes

“Tough times don’t last but tough people do.”

- A.C Green

7 Likes

“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

- Ludwig van Beethoven

4 Likes

“Your mind will quit a thousand times before your body will.”

- Unknown -

3 Likes

Sometimes I feel like inspirational quotes. Other times I feel like brass tacks.

6 Likes

The only time you grow is when you are outside of your comfort zone. And if you are always hitting your pace targets, that means you are not pushing yourself enough. If you never fail, maybe you haven’t challenged yourself enough.

All of these thoughts were expressed very eloquently by a former teammate a long time ago during a championship season, telling me to take more chances and take more risks.

This is what he said:

“The only way to succeed is to double your failure rate.”

- W. Spackman -

2 Likes

We often think of good and bad as being on opposite ends of the scale. Maybe you picture it like really horrible on one side, then less bad, and then okay or average, then good, and all the way on the other side is great.

Imagine the blue is really bad, and the red is really great. What is in the middle?

But maybe it is not like that…

The greater your attempt at doing something on the great (red) side, the bigger the risk of failing miserably and being on the horrible (blue) side.

What is the middle? It is lukewarm. Unmemorable. Unremarkable. Forgettable. Who cares about being average?

So as a different perspective of the scale, I want to present the idea that sometimes great success and great failure are very close. Better to strive for one side and end up on the opposite, than to live in the middle.

And for that, I want to give these two quotes which I love.

“…but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly…Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure… than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

- Theodore Roosevelt -

And the same thing, in a much simpler and shorter sentence that always stays with me…

“Hit it hard, and wish it well.”

- Claude Gordon -

3 Likes

and I call this COURAGE. and that is what it means to achieve the life of us UNLIMITED

-DM-

3 Likes

“Old age and treachery beats youth and exuberance, every time.”

- David Mamet -

@T1Allison shared a quote with me today that was beautiful. It was by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

It reminded me of a great quote that I had been thinking of posting here. Her quote made me think that I should post the one that I knew.

Alli is more eloquent and smarter than I am, so my quote is a greatly dumbed down version of the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote. I hope she will share hers too.

But here is the one I wanted to share.

“I’ll leave tomorrow’s problems to tomorrow’s me.”

- Saitama -

2 Likes

6 Likes

For @LarissaW

“Do you give the horse his might? Do you clothe his neck with a mane? Do you make him leap like the locust? His majestic snorting is terrifying. He paws in the valley and exults in his strength; he goes out to meet the weapons. He laughs at fear and is not dismayed; he does not turn back from the sword. Upon him rattle the quiver, the flashing spear, and the javelin. With fierceness and rage he swallows the ground; he cannot stand still at the sound of the trumpet.

- Job 39:19-24 -

5 Likes