The manual pancreas

Nice idea, but not true; the pancreas does not know what non-fully-developed-T1s have eaten until a significant time until after they eat. Depending on the responsiveness of the NFDT1 the result will be a blood sugar rise to a level somewhere in the range 150-250mg/dL. Unfortunately there have been very few, if more than one, studies of NFDT1 responses over the time period - such studies require CGMs if real world conditions are maintained. This seems to be the major and I suspect only study:

So careful reading is required to understand all of that and to avoid making stupid comments based on averages. Here is an informative picture which shows averages:

(I’m quoting women because I just replicated this test on one subject, my wife; HbA1c 5.2, baseline fasting BG 100mg/dL, 2 hour post-prandial BG typically around 100mg/dL, one hour post prandial between around140mg/dL and 250mg/dL, 2-3 hour post prandial often hypo.) So the interesting thing is the variation. If you read the full article it turns out that a significant number of people are going over 200mg/dL after one hour:

There is also a distressing number of people who are going hypo. The data refers to 148 people with one, single, 6 day test. My wife’s recent experiences are that the highs and lows are debilitating; we don’t notice that because we are used to them, but my wife is not and they “knock her out” (in her own words). Count hyper lines, count the hypo lines, divide by 148 and that is the percentage of people who, over a 6 day period, become incapacitated, “knocked out.”

No, the non-diabetic “automatic” pancreas does not work. We can do better. Scientists can do a lot more research on NFDT1s (i.e. everyone who isn’t an FDT1) and most likely explain the high rate of automobile accidents, along with a lot else.

2 Likes