Thanks FUD

I went to my endocrinologist appointment a couple of days ago.
My A1c came back as… 5.1%!! Woot woot!! :clap::clap::clap:

The lowest it’s ever been is 5.4%, and it was 5.5% around four months ago. I think the drop is almost entirely attributable to Afrezza. My post-meal spikes have been much better. My bg average is consistently about 10 mg/dl lower than it used to be- now runs about 115-125. My standard deviation has remained about the same at 30-40 mg/dl. I’m trying to lower that more but can’t seem to manage it. I also think the hormone thread has helped me vary my basal insulin a bit more based on my cycle, and that’s helped me stay in range as well.

Sooooo… Thanks FUD for introducing Afrezza to me! Also, thanks everyone for posting your management techniques. I don’t always respond to posts, but I read a lot on here, and I love hearing new ways of handling things and implementing them in my life.

Except… I think the flexibility Afrezza allows and my new control levels have also contributed to a bit of weight gain. I’m exercising about the same as I was a couple of years ago, but I’ve gained a few pounds over the last few months. My new task is to learn how to control D and maintain/lose weight. I’m not used to thinking about this much. I’ve never been the super skinny girl, but I’ve been a comfortable weight. In the past I could just eat a bit healthier if I started to gain weight, and the trend would reverse and normalize at the same weight.

I think Afrezza has given me more flexibility and kept my blood sugar levels in range better after meals. Current theory is that I’m able to digest a lot more carbs in a healthy way (partially because I might be eating more), and that’s causing weight gain.

So I’m going to start by upping my exercise and trying to eat healthier. I want to be able to hike faster, so I might try jogging on an incline and/or using a stairmaster. I’m really bad at dieting, but I’m pretty good at eating healthy as long as I don’t limit the amount of food I can eat. I’m used to running a basal that is either slightly higher or as close to exactly right as possible. The slightly higher basal results in me having small amounts of fast-acting carbs intermittently throughout the day, and I’m honestly not really sure how to change this so that I can lose weight.

Also, I’m still confused by why my average bg and my A1c don’t match up. I read somewhere on here about some test that measures the life of the red blood cells, and I think I’m going to ask my doctor about it at my next appointment. I’d like to make sure that that is the reason rather than something that I should be concerned about.

The appointment went much better overall than it has in the past because he listened to how I use both Humalog and Afrezza together to manage my D and asked the right questions. I also asked about statins, and he said that if he put me on them, we would be targeting my current levels anyway. He didn’t feel like it would help much. I asked him about the recent study showing a huge increase in heart disease risk in women with T1D, and he said that he felt that a lot of that higher risk can be attributed to the levels of control that were possible years ago. He said that there are so many more tools now than there used to be; however, he also acknowledged that he has patients who have had diabetes for a long, long time and show no signs of heart disease so there is likely a genetic factor at play.

Anyway, I thought I’d share the good news!! Thanks everyone! Now time to start eating healthier and up my visits to the gym :running_woman::running_woman::running_woman::running_woman:

15 Likes

That’s great! Way to go, @Katers87!!!

3 Likes

@Katers87 that’s amazing! Congratulations!

1 Like

17 posts were split to a new topic: Why A1c can be different from eA1c

Smartest kind of eating there is…

I personally think it’s a great way to handle it all.

Congratulations!!! But no cake for you. :grin:

1 Like

That is really amazing, @Katers87, I am so pleased!

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Study: afrezza improved prandial glucose control over novolog