T:slim with Basal-IQ vs 670G: manual injections OK?

I’m scanning stuff to email them now. I’ve been thinking about it though— I’ve gotten into the habit of doing manual injections for about a million different reasons. I would never do that in auto mode on the 670G because … it would just be dumb, but what happens on the Tslim?? It doesn’t matter, right?? Because it’s not calculating a dose for you, it’s just stopping the insulin when you hit the low threshold??

I didn’t mean to spring all of this on your very nice comment. :grin: Thank you, and I’m very excited. :hugs:

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb all the new TSlims come with Basal-IQ pre-installed. I personally don’t have it yet but am looking forward to the Rx required to upgrade after I see my endo next month. It will as I am told by other users and by a Tandem townhall video suspend based on a 30 min projection of your BGs. One drawback that I have heard is that if you had an extended bolus in play and the pump suspends, then the extended is cancelled and doesn’t restart. Not having it, I can not verify the accuracy of those claims. In all other aspects I really really like this pump. I get better Dexcom service trough Tandem then I do through Dexcom (bad sensors, transmitters, anything…seriously).

t:slim X2™ Insulin Pump with Basal-IQ™ Technology

Get the most out of your Basal IQ

The second video had more user info IMHO, but YMMV.

Not that it matters, but I called Tandem on a Saturday around 830 in the AM with a charging issue. I had a new pump (replacement) in hands <13 hours later. Same Day, shipping from San Diego to my door. Not even Dexcom does that for me. They also followed up every other hour until I sked them to stop to make sure I was coping without the pump (because MDI is soooooo scary…boo!)

1 Like

You can do manual injections, it won’t mess up anything. The Basal-IQ will shut off insulin when the CGM and its algorithm predict you going low in the next 30 minutes, it has nothing to do with a calculated dose.

@elver, your drawback (shutting off temp basals or extended boluses) is our bonus. That is how we use the system. Now when we want to get agressive with a treatment or go crazy for a high carb meal, we use the temp basal or extended bolus to get aggressive, then when he goes low it shuts it off. It allows us to be extra aggressive at night. We love that function.

Totally agree with the service. Tandem gives us the best service by far.

3 Likes

Sometimes a drawback.

Sometimes a benefit.

When coming down from a high, we sometimes dose a rediculous amount of insulin extended so it gives (extended) 2 or 3 units per hour for any number of hours - doesn’t matter. When the Basal-IQ algorithm predicts BG of 80 within 30 minutes then the rest of the extended bolus gets cancelled. That part is pretty nifty.

Drawback when eating food that you want an extended on. Then the Basal-IQ can easily kick in if the BG starts to drop just a bit before it goes up. In that case, it sometimes works better to turn off the Basal-IQ for an hour or so. Obvious problem there is remembering to turn it back on. Setting an alarm on your cell phone is a good idea unless (unlike me) you don’t get distracted and don’t forget to do things.

3 Likes

Yeah - agree. The projection for going low is strictly cgm based. The IOB is not a factor at all.

For better or worse - that is the algorithm. Linear projection using 3 out of the last 4 cgm readings. Carbs and IOB are simply not in the Basal-IQ algorithm.

1 Like

@Chris I don’t necessarily consider it a drawback, just something I have heard from other users who probably are trying to go with what they know. I personally don’t have issues with not going low. Lows scare the heck out of me for a variety of reasons, legal and otherwise.

2 Likes

I like your style.

@Chris have you figured a way to include the MDI in your pump data with Tandem? While it’s sometimes nice to obfuscate the data from Principal Endo, generally I would like to include it for fine tuning my ratios for specific foods.

We do a pump bolus of 0.05 units when we do a manual syringe.

Just to make a note of it in the pump. Not really recording or adding to IOB or anything like that. But obviously we would never bolus 0.05 units so…

(Smallest bolus Tandem X2 allows)

1 Like

@Thomas has a good idea, to be honest we don’t keep track. My son doesn’t do it to hide anything from the endo, just to get the treatment he wants when he desires. We keep track by the vial basically.

I rarely if ever cheat the pump. I want the metrics. It would be nice though to. Somehow be able to add the data in.

Now if I can only remember that for the annual Tandem survey…

2 Likes