Switching from Lantus to Tresiba

For me this would be a non issue, my daily doses are frequently varied by that much time

2 Likes

Once I know what my dose should be day-to-day, maybe I’ll experiment with that and see if it impacts my sugar levels.

I didn’t notice any big effects, but my Saturday dinner dose didn’t go as smoothly. My friend had a big going away party that night though with lots of fun, drinking, and different foods (squash curry! delicious!) so too many variables involved too know if the dosage time change had any effect on me (especially with the cold starting early Sunday morning).

2 Likes

I usually don’t take my Tresiba dose until 10-11am on weekends with no problems. Coming back from Moscow, we leave at 5 am (8-9pm MSP) and get in at noon the same day. I get my next dose at 6 am the next day (roughly 34 hours later). I think you will find Tresiba very forgiving (YMMV).

1 Like

I hope it’s the same for me! There were definitely no major problems in dosing 5 hours late which is pretty awesome.

2 Likes

Still on 22 units. I’ve had some elevated blood sugars, but I’ve been pretty sedentary while weathering a bad cold. I’m starting to feel better now, and I had a beautiful flat line this morning :slight_smile:

I’ll update again in a few days, but I think this is the dose for me. My lifestyle is not usually very sedentary, but I’ll have to add in some boluses when I am more sedentary if that’s what was causing the elevated blood sugar levels. With Lantus, I might’ve been more willing to increase my daily dose by 1 unit if I was going to be more sedentary, but I would hesitate to do this with Tresiba because it lasts for so long. So far, this is the only drawback I’ve experienced from Tresiba, and it’s something I can work around easily.

On a sidenote, I got my Afrezza in the mail today :smile:. I’m planning to start using it once my cough is gone- hopefully Monday-Wednesday. Can’t wait!

2 Likes

Once you get your dose figured out there’s no longer any good reason to not adjust up or down a unit or two for sedentary periods… 1 extra unit spread or over 42 hours or so is almost nothing, it won’t upset the apple cart. People chasing their dose around 10u at a time every day or two when they don’t even know what their baseline dose is, on the other hand, is problematic

2 Likes

That’s wonderful!

Do you feel that Tresiba can work for you, at this stage, or are you still in the investigation stage?

Overall, I like Tresiba much better than lantus. The overlapping doses create much more stability and a smoother profile. I love that I can take it just once a day. It’s much easier to remember, and it’s really nice that I don’t have to be exact on the time. I consider Tresiba to be a superior insulin, though I would consider lantus to be a good backup option. I will be sticking with Tresiba.

If I were to give any recommendation to someone switching to Tresiba, it would be to wait 5 days before switching your dose unless you’re running low. I think it takes longer than you’d expect for it to be at it’s full effect. I bumped up my dose too early and then ended up decreasing it by 2 units because of lows.

I feel like I think about my basal insulin less already even though I’ve been refining my dose. That is ultimate success- an insulin that allows me to think about my diabetes less but still have good blood sugar levels.

5 Likes

Awesome… good review. @Michel will tresiba be available during your travels? It really is the insulin of the future imo.

I didn’t even realize lantus wasn’t that great, and what I thought would be better was 2x daily levemir… It’s like my brain was stuck in the 1990s until I stumbled into tresiba… though I agree any of the three work for mdi basal, tresiba just works appreciably better imo

3 Likes

Hi, Katers87,
I know this is an “old” conversation, but I wanted to find out how you’re liking Tresiba know that it’s been several months since you made the switch from Lantus.

I’m about to make the same switch, finally, after 40+ years, so your posts were really helpful. As you recommend, I’ll wait 5 days before I monkey with my beginning dose, unless I’m running low.

Thanks again,

Sal

2 Likes

I still love it :slight_smile:

I’m glad my posts were helpful!!! I really like the smooth profile of Tresiba, and according to my Dexcom, I’ve managed to increase my time in range since I started using Tresiba.

I tried the split dose for awhile, but then I reverted back to just once per day. Others may disagree, but I think the split dose was unnecessarily complicating the situation. IMHO, Tresiba works best as a once per day insulin.

There are times when I’ve wanted more flexibility though. It’d be nice to be able to quickly decrease my basal after an intense exercise session. Tresiba does NOT work that way though. I feel like Tresiba may work the absolute best for people who exercise daily with a consistent regimen.

…That sounds boring though… and not at all like me.

There’ll always be small variations from day-to-day, but I’d say that Tresiba handles that better than Lantus ever did. If the comparison is between these two and the only options are one or the other then I’d dive into Tresiba head-first without looking back.

Hope that answers the question :slight_smile:

1 Like

Katers87,
Thanks for this info!!
I’m slightly nervous, but also looking forward to the improvement.

Any thoughts about Afrezza?

Dog photo thrown in for good measure. :smirk:

3 Likes

I hope you love it! Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

Afrezza is perfect for corrections. I love how quickly it kicks in (almost immediately) and completely reverses a rising bg level. I’ve read a lot about Fiasp lately, and it sounds like that may work similarly fast for some people.

Afrezza works so quickly that I usually dose AFTER I eat. It’s completely out of my system in 1.5-2 hours. That’s both good (for corrections) and bad (slow digesting food). It’s nice to use an inhaler when I go out to eat though, so I just follow it up with another dose a couple hours later.

There was a decent adjustment period when I started Afrezza because it’s so completely different than any other insulin I’ve used. It took some time for me to figure out how to use it safely and correctly. I have a serious amount of respect for the 8 unit cartridges, and I use those only when I need a serious correction or am eating a really high glycemic index food. Working with an insulin that works so quickly requires very different adjustments than with Humalog or Novolog. Methods that I used with Humalog cannot be used with Afrezza (e.g. rage bolusing or dosing extra and eating to the dose).

It’s awesome though. Big life changer actually. There’s something incredibly satisfying about watching an upward Dexcom trend completely reverse within 15-20 minutes after dosing. It took so much longer with Humalog!

7 Likes

Katers87,

I wanted to thank you for writing such a helpful description of what using Afrezza is REALLY like! This is the kind of detail that a doctor simply can’t provide, no matter how good they are.
For now I’ll stay with Novolog while I try out Tresiba…one change at a time.
Thanks again for the realistic summary.

Sal

5 Likes