Surviving on $50 with no prescriptions or insurance

I’d be interested as well, since I’m looking at next year to get a new pump. Assuming the 670G and t:slim have both arrived in Canada by then, those are the two I’ll be debating between.

1 Like

@Sam @Jen --Thanks for the suggestion. Done!

2 Likes

Back to R/NPH - I actually did MDI quite successfully with R/NPH in the mid 1990’s (just post DCCT). Previous to that it was the 2-shot a day R/NPH (morning/dinner) regime). I had high 6 A1Cs at the time.

I used pens - I had a Humulin R pen and an NPH pen.

The basic routine was:

1. Take NPH first thing in the morning for daytime basal.
  2. R shot 45 minutes to 1/2 hour before a meal based on an estimated carb count + correction
  3. If I had a meal, I usually had a small carb snack (like 15g) 2 hours later because of the long duration of the R.
  4. NPH shot before bed for nightime basal.
  5. Target of 8.0 mmol/l (144) before bed and usually had a small amount of carbs before bed to cover the NPH peak as well as the dinner R.

I loved this regime at the time. It was liberating as compared to the two shots a day thing - as @drbbennett calls it the “Eat now or die” regimen of insulin dosing.

When Humalog came out, I switched from R to Humalog and got rid of the long prebolus times that were needed with R. So was on Humalog / NPH for a while

When Levemir came out, I dropped the old night-time snack as levemir did not cause those nighttime lows.

5 Likes