Study: Insulin Pumps Decrease Quality of Life and Increase A1c in CGM Users

Yes, and that’s what we are sharing here— our experiences. Granted, different than yours, but likely similar to many other people who don’t realize it yet, or maybe like me, didn’t even believe such an easy road was possible for them…

I’ve heard such wonderful things about Tresiba from so many that, when Liam is old enough, it’s definitely something we will have him experiement with. I’ve heard many people describe it in such a way that it sounds like they’re literally walking on clouds when they’re taking Tresiba. If Liam can walk on clouds with something, I definitely want him to try it.

2 Likes

But you’re also comparing Tresiba to the pump and saying it’s better for various reasons, and that is not in your realm of experience.

1 Like

I’m not saying it’s necessarily better. I’m saying there are certain advantages, and I’m saying some people think they need variable basal when they actually don’t… or that maybe that’s even 100% the opposite of the best idea for them. That is squarely in my experience, because I was one of them.

Up above you imply that the pump “creates” basal chaos, that MDI is safer than pumping because of something to do with the insulin (not infusion sets), that the “right” basal dose is the same dose day to day… The way you make those statements sounds like generalizing, not just talking about your own personal experience.

Since we are in a public forum that anyone can read, and people who are considering whether a pump is for them or not may find this thread, I think these things matter. If you have never in your life used a pump, you can’t really make statements like “some of the chaos might be due to the pumped basal” and still say you are talking about your own experience.

You had relatively good success with Lantus and even better success with Tresiba. Lantus is mostly flat, and Tresiba is completely flat. My guess is that if you’d tried a truly variable basal profile such as on a pump, you would have had a terrible experience with it, because it’s not what your body needs. You didn’t “know” that you had a variable basal need, you assumed that you did when you actually didn’t. That is different from someone who is already using a pump with variable basal rates with good results but who is trying to fine-tune things. My guess, based on my experience, is that anyone who truly has a mismatch between their basal needs and basal is going to have chaotic blood sugars with daily extreme highs and lows. They will just be hanging on for dear life and will definitely know that there is a major mismatch somewhere.

5 Likes

I didn’t just assume that’s had variable needs. I observed it. Eg I’d have to jack my blood sugar up to exercise and then watch it closely throughout the next 24 hours, I’d have to take many additional corrections during times of stress like when studying for exams. Etc… and yes at the time I was still more willing to use Lantus than a pump, because I am not interested in a pump personally—- but I am just as capable of identifying “variable needs” as any other reasonably intelligent person… they were there, and then when put on the insulin that best suits me, they were no longer there… even though I was certain that that type of insulin wasn’t going to fit my patterns, profiles, and needs. My needs might not have been as variable as yours, but I needed different amounts of insulin throughout every day and different types of situation to remain in range

That may not be the case for everyone. But it is certainly the case for some—- and likely a significant number, of people. Those people are likely looking the wrong direction for improvement, as I was—- it is those people who I do hope are reading this thread and finding value in the experience I am sharing.

1 Like

Respectfully, this is incredibly dangerous advice for anyone who experiences variable basal needs on a macro scale, like for hormones. @Sam, you say that you have discovered that you do NOT have variable basal needs. If that’s true, and I’m happy for you if it is, then I think advice should be limited to actual experience.

Basal delivery functions completely differently unit-per-unit than correction doses, as discussed by @Michel, @Jen and myself. I saw the same thing on MDI and had to adjust accordingly…and did so pretty successfully for years. If you tell someone to take only their minimum potentential basal (either pumping or MDI) and fill in the rest with correction doses, they will likely lose a lot of weight while waiting out highs to eat (and peeing out a lot of calories when they do eat) and they will likely crash hard once the correction doses finally budge their BG…bc once it breaks loose with that method, it’s going down hard (same for pumping and MDI).

I’m sure you have good intentions, but I have not seen this theory (although logical) to actually function the way you hypothesize that it would. And my basal needs only fluctuate within a 25% range most times…so more pronounced basal need changes would be even more dangerous with this “minimum dosing” strategy.

There’s not always a perfect regimen or perfectly discoverable answer in T1D. Some of us just have to accept routinely (or sporadically) changing rules bc our bodies’ rules ACTUALLY change…not bc we have our heads in the sand. While Tresiba might have a lot to offer me and I’m not in a position to experiment with it now, it’s not going to make me stop ovulating…or my PMS…or anything along those lines.

I worked with a woman whose first baby was totally textbook easy. She had a lot of advice on how to get babies to eat and sleep and how none of parenting is all that difficult if you just use common sense. Then she had her second baby who was quite challenging. That slowed down her broad brush statements.

1 Like

That is the standard medical advice for mdi protocol it’s not some wild dangerous idea I came up with myself

But that’s the problem. The medical advice is largely coming from non-diabetic endos or leading male diabetic endos.

Theory is great until it’s wrong. That theory is completely wrong and unsafe.

Sugar surfing is not a safe method for handling hormone induced insulin resistance. (You are recommending sugar surfing, essentially.) And besides not being safe for that scenario, it doesn’t even work. It only works for minor disturbances when your basal is already within 5% of being correct.

I understand why you think what you think. But respectfully and empirically, it’s inaccurate.

what_she_said

8 Likes

A study that says pumps decrease quality of life?

Well…

Pump Life
by Prince Me & The Revolution

Whatsa matter with your A1C?
Are these studies bringing you down?
Are the researchers jerking you ‘round?
Do they spend all their research dollars
Tellin’ you you’re wrong?

Tell me, what’s the matter with you guy?
These clowns think you should do MDI (clowns think you should do MDI)
Don’t you know you better at least try (at least try)
Life it ain’t real funky
Just ‘cuz it’s got that pump
Dig it

[Chorus]
Pump life
Everybody wants to live
Pump life
We all got a dose to give
Pump life
It don’t mean you’re a chump
But life it ain’t real funky
Just because you use a pump
Dig it

Tell me, do you basals never change?
Is it always in the same range? (in the same range)
These researchers gotta be deranged (be deranged)
Show me the clowns who did this study
And I’ll show you a dumbass, buddy
Dig it

[Chorus]
Pump life
Everybody wants to live
Pump life
Pump life
Dig it

[Instrumental interlude]

Oh
Researcher’s brains are so small
Saying MDI is best for us all (MDI is best for us all)
You know there was a big cash haul
They tested others didn’t test you
How they know what’s best for y’all?
Dig it

[Chorus]
Pump life
Everybody wants to live
Pump life
Pump life

[Interlude]

Everybody wants to live
Pump life
Pump life

8 Likes

@Eric, you have written many great songs, but this is THE BEST!

Now you need to actually sing it! Or we need to find a way to karaoke this song in. Who can do that?

4 Likes

I’ll pay good money to see it performed live. That’s all I know. :grin:

4 Likes

Even if you’re turning the same bolt all day, if you’re using a poor quality adjustable wrench like this: it will require constant adjustment no matter what.

If using the proper wrench instead, it will never seem to require adjustment:

The same applies to insulin for some people.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Medtronic certified pump trainer killed by own malfunctioning pump

Just exactly how much money are we talking about here?
Enough to make it worth the time/effort in hauling my Karaoke gear out of the shed in the winter snow & ice, rehearsing, getting it all down on a vidcam, and then uploading it to YouTube? :wink:
How%20Much%20Money%20Can%20You%20Make%20From%20Music

2 Likes

I am putting $10 on the pile right now :slight_smile:

But…

I am sure you would love to do it anyway!

2 Likes

Thanks to FUD we’ve learned about all of those things! Prior to that, having seen 6 endos in 11 years across multiple states/moves, not one went over those risks and guidelines with us.

The “real” discussions that happen here are much more useful.

That being said, I think it’s not a black-and-white issue, pump vs. MDI. Clearly, people have personal opinions of what’s best. But maybe the encouragement for outside readers who might stumble across this thread would be to say: consider trying a variety of insulin delivery options until you find what works best for you!

4 Likes

Five dollar.

10 if it’s entertaining.

15 if there’s choreographed dancing. :thinking:

2 Likes

I TOTALLY DISAGREE.

I would NEVER give up my pump.

1 Like