Strictly About Pizza

@katiereeder, our experience largely agrees with @Chris: we dose 100% upfront, then, 30 minutes after eating the pizza, we add 50 to 75% on top of the original dosing over 1.5 hours: total 150% to 175% overall including all insulin before and on extended. It is possible that dosing less than 100% upfront may also work for us but we have not tried yet.

2 Likes

I agree with DM: not all pizzas are created equal :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can always give yourself the best shot by getting the thin crust, and ask them to go light on the cheese. Many years ago when I worked at a pizza place, you could literally go 2x with the cheese and no one would know unless they weighed the pie. It is easy to see why there is so much variance.

3 Likes

Yeah except that strategy involves eating thin crust pizza…thank goodness it’s not me who needs the insulin, I’m a deep dish fiend all the way!!

I have more options when we’re making or ordering it…it’s the teen party pizza feeding frenzy that is more challenging when I don’t know what it will look like in advance. He’s a great estimator though in general.

I’m guessing it would NOT be cool to show up at such a party with your mom and a midsize kitchen scale, haha! But will save that plan for if he makes me really mad :wink:

3 Likes

I guess I am my kids worst nightmare. I thought everyone traveled with a scale. We don’t do it anymore, but we used to…

2 Likes

I tried it, and it was an utter disaster. I shot up to 12 (215) and hovered there for about 6 hours, despite corrections. This was the same pizza I usually get, from the same place. Clearly I need more insulin right up front. I’ll stick with my 60/40/3h … until it no longer works.

4 Likes

every pizza is not created equal. different sauce, different amount of cheese, different crust. when i found the formula that worked for me at one specific pizza joint, i stuck with it. it worked and continues to work.

if you have a formula that works for you,well, if the clock ain’t broke, dont fix it! :wink:

4 Likes

I had great results last night using R and 1.5x my normal carb ratio… stayed nice and flat…

how many slices did you have? did you have extra cheese and pepperoni? how many grams did you bolus for?

just curious… :wink:

It was just a relatively small little frozen pizza and I added a bunch of extra cheese to it. The box said it was only 70g… which normally id dose 8-9 units of humalog or novolog for, and then invariably end up with a big spike 3+ hours later… so I did 12u R about 15 min before I started eating. I’m really starting to appreciate the benefits of R…

I will have to try it next time with a real pizza

i couldnt wait long enough to get off of the R. but then again, i have a pump, so i can program it any which way for deliveries.

are you a pumper or do you do MDI ?

for pizza, i extend my bolus for 2.5 hours. its a thing of beauty.

sunday we are going out for burgers, fries, guacamole and chips at our favorite burger joint. i am sooo excited. (i need to extend the bolus for 3 hours (that totals 7 hours of running active insulin in my body! wow.)

I am 100% in the mdi/ afrezza camp… extending the bolus 2.5-3 hours is pretty much the same thing as taking 1.5x R instead.

I don’t think I could stand having a pump attached to me

i am in love with my pump. and i am tethered. i was doing MDI for years and years. i hated it. and my A1cs sucked big time. with my pump i can basically micro manage everything. and its such a fashion statement :wink:

I’ve had a1cs in the 4s with mdi and afrezza… it’s a different era of insulin technology than when a lot of people switched from R and NPH to pumps in my thinking

it must be. i guess thats why so many people are still doing MDI. i just associate R, NPH, Lente, etc. with old world insulin management. and my life, then, was out of control. i was locked into a world of restrictions which i hated. when i went on the pump, my world expanded, and it continues to do so day by day.

but hey, YDMV, and if you can eat the pizza you want to and keep a nice flat line, koodos. eat it all. god knows, eric does!!! :wink:

1 Like

I have been reading this thread avidly, since Pizza while seriously tasty is generally not worth the headache and bgs that follow for me. That said, I am about to glom. 2 slices of my so’s pizza and try one of the aforementioned techniques. If it works… Life will be amazing… Pizza amazing… Here’s hoping!

4 Likes

i am wishing you the best of luck and praying that you find your pizza formula; try not to quit. if at first you dont succeed. try try again.

pizza formulas are worth all the torment to get there!!! :wink:

3 Likes

I’m on a pizza/beer spike right now. I know I CAN manage it better but I was with people and didn’t feel like it. 7u at 2:40pm, at 4 pices of pizza (more than I thought I was going to eat) and 2 beers over the next 2 hours. Still hovering around 200 even though I did a 7u IM correction 2 hours ago. About correct again… I know i can do better buts it requires lots of thinking and monitoring and knowing how much will eat and thougtful guesses at the nutrition facts all of which is fairly disruptive to socializing at networking happy hour. It was good pizza, had bacon on it.

4 Likes

Oy… 2 Ipas for me, and 2.slices of pie. Bolused 22. 3 units over 2. 5 hours. Let’s see what happens… Woohoo!

1 Like

Elver, as i think i have mentioned before, pizza is a tricky food and requires a lot of experimentation. i believe that pizza is a necessary part of life and therefore worth the trouble. :wink:

a major part of my experiments was returning to the exact same pizza joint every time. not all pizzas are created a like and sticking with one place allowed me to have the consistancy in their ingreadients as well as my insulin needs for those.

beware of the thickness of the crust, the sweetness of the sauce, and the amount of cheese on the slices. this will be a good starting guide to start experimenting from.

wishing you the very best of luck and perseverence. it is worth the trouble!!!

3 Likes