Speeding insulin activation: IM

Same for us. If your I:C is dialed in reasonably well, then you can predict exactly how many carbs you’ll need to mop up the excess insulin and the risk of going low is really not so great. Not sure why doctors don’t recommend this for the dangerous highs.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t think many physicians are aware of these advanced CGM techniques. Without a CGM this would be more difficult, since we give the carbs as we cross the 100 bg threshold. We have found that if we give the carbs early or late they won’t have the same effect. If we don’t soft land the drop, it seems like it takes more carbs to recover. So in addition to being a good way to land a high, it would help those that are trying to keep the pounds off.

1 Like

The IM speed improvement has to do with more capillaries, and the muscle being used to kind of work the insulin in and speed absorption. Kind of the like the technique you have heard about massaging the injection site.

For me, the legs are faster because I am running on them, using them a lot right after, so the constant muscle contraction works it in faster. But if you did arms, pushups would help.

So I guess the speed is related to which muscles you are using right after the time of the injection.

3 Likes

I see a similar benefit when wearing pump on my legs/hips. Come to think of it I noticed the same thing with MDI - rarely injected elsewhere.

Hands down (sorry for the pun) that’s where insulin absorbtion is at its best for me!

1 Like

Just ordered the book on Amazon.

2 Likes

went down into the low 40s last night and could not get my BGs up. i ate the refrigerator itself, then the pantry, then the cabinets, got my BGs up to 70ish and went to bed. woke up at 3am at 195. ugh. another correction. i just hate those middle of the night corrections; but i do love all the yummy stuff i eat to need one. :wink:

3 Likes

i swim the breast stroke using the whip kick, so my thighs are totally muscle. they are the perfect location for an IM injection. then i flex the muscle afterwards and walk from bedroom to living room and back and forth for about a minute. works like a charm.

2 Likes

Why are we instructed to inject subcutaneous when IM works faster (the onset is faster).

It’s the “Safety Dance”. If someone is used to doing subcu and then does it IM, it comes in much faster, and maybe catches them off-guard and drops them faster than they are expecting. As long as you are aware of the difference, it isn’t really an issue.

2 Likes

@Eric made my day!

2 Likes