FUDiabetes

Pros and Cons of intramuscular insulin injections?

insulin
intramuscular

Hello everybody how are you today?

My question is, is there any benefits or let’s say ‘different’ characteristics of intramuscular insulin injections vs subcutaneous?

I read somewhere that the absorption is quicker… but then I read on Facebook someone saying it is slower

I love them, and I find, mostly, they’re faster. I assume when they’re not, it’s because I didn’t get the muscle. I’m not sure why someone would find them slower unless they also didn’t hit muscle. In general, I consider them a more substantial shot of insulin. Sub-cutaneous shots now feel painfully slow in comparison. However, before I ever tried my first IM, I had learned how to speed up a sub-q shot just by mixing injection and activity. For me, a shot along with 5-10 minutes of moderate activity would almost be the same.

They are quicker. Especially if the muscles used are working after the injection.

@Israel. The only comments I have second @Nickyghaleb and. @Eric s comments.

Faster absorbtion, especially if it’s a large muscle and in use, and generally more comfortable with boluses under 15u

For my son they are quite a bit faster, perhaps by as much as 30 minutes when trying to turn a stubborn high.

Personally I have never done one, and don’t plan to, since I have Afrezza.

But wondering the benefit of 30 minutes sooner compared to not IM is that significant? I was thinking IM was both in and out quicker, lower peak.
Is that true?

For us IM is faster and also “more insulin”: you get a stronger effect than subcutaneous. So, theoretically you should use less if you were sure it would work as an IM.

But—I a recent IM thread here on FUD, most participants also wrote that the IM effect was not totally reliable: sometimes it works, sometimes not. For us, we use 12.7 mm needles for IM, and out success rate is about 50%. We use thigh and calf, and run for 5 minutes after injection.

@MM2, do you mean less insulin tail? It is very possible, but we never thought of measuring :frowning:

Note: the IM thread I mentioned above is here:

IM insulin injections: what techniques work best for you?