Smallest meter? (Including strips, lancing device, case, etc.)

I’m trying to find the smallest possible meter kit: the meter, the strips, the pain stick (lancing device), and the carrying case.

I use a CGM so I only need a meter for calibration and CGM failures. I’ll be able to use my existing meter, which has nice features and strips that are covered by insurance, at work and at home. I’m just looking for something super small for when I’m out and about.

What I’m looking for:

• the whole kit needs to be as small as possible

What I don’t care about

• cost
  • cost of strips
  • ease of use
  • a light
  • an easy to read display
  • large strip container
  • somewhere to store a log book
  • somewhere to store lancets

Any suggestions? What do you all do when you want to go out without carrying a bag with you?

1 Like

I use a Contour Next USB (or One), a Fastclix lancing device, and put my strips in a OneTouch container. It all fits in a True2Go case. I’m not sure it’s the smallest, but that case is pretty compact.

1 Like

True metrix go. Meter sits on top of the tube of strips and pokie attaches to side with an elastic band. Whole thing goes right in pocket, no case needed. Impossible to find online, have to get them at CVS or Walgreens. Strips on amazon.

3 Likes

I second what @Sam said. Can’t get much more compact than this.

TMX_GoPack_Web

But the bag I’ve referenced and shown here before does fit in my pants or jacket pocket, and it is quite complete.

3 Likes

I came across this the other day. It reminds me of a much larger Accu-Check meter with a drum of strips that it would dispense on demand, I had that meter 20 years ago.

https://advancedtherapeutics.org.uk/shop/dario-smart-meter/dario-all-in-one-for-iphone/

They sadly don’t have these in the US.

1 Like

It looks like they have submitted an updated model to the US FDA for approval:

Thanks everyone for your ideas! I picked up a True Metrix Go and it is much smaller than what I’ve been carrying around.

2 Likes

Cool let us know how you like it… it’s not the best meter by a long shot but convenience makes up for a lot and the strips are dirt cheap on amazon (about $45 for 300 including shipping usually) so i put it to good use

1 Like

Congrats, @ned!

Would you be willing to run a comparison with your existing meter for a few a strips and let us know how it goes?

Sure, @Michel, here’s a comparison of the OneTouch Verio IQ, True Metrix Go, and Dexcom G5. I took these readings when the Dexcom asked me to calibrate.

• Verio: 56, metrix: 52, Dexcom: 79 (falling)
  • Verio: 192, metrix: 197, Dexcom: 147
  • Verio: 193, metrix: 189, Dexcom: 208
  • Verio: 147, metrix: 147, Dexcom: 132
  • Verio: 142, metrix: 139, Dexcom: 86 (rising)
  • Verio: 106, metrix: 107, Dexcom: 113
  • Verio: 82, metrix: 90, Dexcom: 69 (rising)

7 Likes

That’s impressively close! For me it’d be nowhere near that tight. Looks like a winner for you… the true metrix works better for me than the verio…

@ned That looks pretty accurate! Not any real significant difference between Verio and TruMetrix.

Dexcom typically plays catch up, so I wouldn’t worry about the differences between the meters and the Dex.

Thanks for running this experiment!

1 Like

@ned, you get bonus FUD points for including the graph. Well done!

1 Like

The difference between the CGM and the meters shows why we don’t want to calibrate when our BG is moving. If the Dex says 86 rising and we calibrate it to 142 or 139, after the interstitial glucose concentration eventually catches up with the bloodstream, the Dex will now be reading maybe 30 points too high.

That was an interesting experiment and it sure looks like they are close! Thank you! Also, your Klingon reference made me laugh. :slight_smile:

@bkh do you think the Dexcom takes that into account, or do you think I should wait to calibrate until the Dex is reading steady, even if the Dex is asking me to calibrate?

@Thomas seems to understand a lot about how the Dexcom calibration algorithm works. What say you, @Thomas

I’d definitely wait. Although the Dex is asking for a calibration, it will continue to work quite well for a long time. I’ve had wild days where I’ve waited 24 hours between calibrations, and the late calibration was within 10 points of the CGM reading. I think calibrating twice a day is good practice, but only when everything is calm and steady. For me, that’s about a half-hour to an hour after waking (which gives time for the feet-on-the-floor spike to level out) and just before going to bed, long after the meal bolus and digestion has calmed down. Just try to find two good times in your day, and it doesn’t have to be the same time every day or 12 hours apart or anything.

2 Likes

There’s some good information here on FUD about Dexcom calibration.

Check out the following wiki:

I use xdrip+ and not the dexcom reciever, so keep that in mind…

I calibrate for the first couple of days when my BG is relatively flat. Once it is calibrated I leave it alone and may calibrate once every 2 days if my BG is dead flat - like in the morning.

I find that this gives the best accuracy for me.