Sad news for the #DIY Loop community

I don’t know how many folks here use Loop, but if you have, you likely know Katie DiSimone and you may well have been helped by her over the years. She has spent many, many hours troubleshooting peoples’ problems as they worked to set up Loop.

She has now been given a pretty terrible diagnosis. I’m passing along the GoFundMe, which is something I don’t usually do, because I feel like she has paid it forward in so many ways to the diabetes community and would like to the same in the tiniest, easiest of ways.

16 Likes

I was about to post this! Thank you Tia.

Please consider donating to a wonderful person who had been a true godsend to the Loop community.

7 Likes

Done :slight_smile: Donation sent.

I feel so bad and will keep Katie and her family/friends in my thoughts and prayers.

7 Likes

This hit me hard this morning when I first read it. She’s given so much of herself, her time and her heart to the DIY/ Looping/ D communities
:broken_heart:

6 Likes

Yes, I agree with all of the previous sentiments. I knew she was no longer with Tidepool but I had no idea she was going through this awful disease. She was incredibly giving of her time, knowledge and care. I pray she will persevere with all our hopes and prays for her recovery. :pray:

3 Likes

Really sad diagnosis, but amazing how many lives Katie has touched and how their fundraising has been spectacularly successful. I wish her the best in the coming months. Truly unfortunate.

3 Likes

Just a very sad update to note that Katie passed away earlier today. She was such an amazing part of the T1D community and will be sorely missed. My heart goes out to her family.

9 Likes

Thank you for letting everyone know. :pray:

5 Likes

I too was so sad when I saw the post that she passed away. She’s probably the reason I’m still Looping today. She willing gave her time so freely to anyone that needed it/ asked for it.

She was truly a special soul and will be missed. :broken_heart::broken_heart:

8 Likes

I just read the FB message and am tearing up about it. What a hero to the diabetes community. My thoughts are with her and her family.

7 Likes

What an amazing life!! Hope that brings her family some comfort.

6 Likes

Thank you Katie! Any other words sound trite despite heartfelt meaning. I’m sad she’s no longer here, but glad her personal suffering is relieved. I hope her family will be at peace. I read Katie’s words, watched her videos, listened to her voice, and found success in my own diabetes journey because of them. Thank you Katie!

6 Likes

Very sad news indeed. For those who don’t have access to FB, here is Tidepool’s obituary:

4 Likes