Right for three weeks....Wrong this week

This week has been frustrating. What has been working amazingly for the past three weeks…I’m talking only 1 low in 3 weeks and BG between 80 and 150 for most of the time during the past 3 weeks…has crashed a burned a bloody hell this week…

No significant changes to anything…IF any, it’s been changes that have resulted in LESS insulin being administered.

Yet, this week, he’s had 8 to 10 lows and we seem to be battling just to keep his BG’s above 100…it’s truly mind-boggling. He’s not sick…but IF he were…we’d be talking about Hypers…not hypos. No significant changes at all from the previous 3 weeks, just small tweaks. Lots of snacks and corrections this week and still haven’t successfully stopped the lows. Have been, and will continue analyzing data to try and figure this out, but wow…the fun just never ends. :frowning:

2 Likes

What’s his TDD? Is it substantially lower? If I were you, I’d look at how much he’s using each day, then subtract out all the insulin that covered his snacks/corrections that weren’t needed. So for us, about 0.15 units would cover 4 grams of carbs, so if he ate like 12 grams of carbs in corrections that means he got an extra .45 units of insulin that day to cover the lows. Anyways, if that TDD (with snack/correction insulin subtracted) is substantially lower you may need to lower basal, lower bolus, or increase ISF. An easy first pass is to decrease basal by 10% and see what happens.

Also, it’s possible he may still have a few lonely hold-out beta cells that, with a lot of days of low blood sugars, are suddenly reviving. Unlikely given how far out he is from diagnosis, but not impossible. And if that’s the case, it is a good thing, even if frustrating. Because the longer those beta cells can cling to life, the better.

I know it’s been a while, but honeymoon is still a possibility. Other things to consider - increased activity, increased temperature, different infusion locations, different mental state (less stress or worry).

With a little guy, increased activity is a good thing to look at.

When I was very young and we would go to the beach, my insulin dose practically fell off to nothing. It was almost like being cured (except for the constant lows). It took my parents a while to figure out it was all the swimming and being outside that made such a difference (my parents had to figure it out themselves, because back then they didn’t have the “internets”).

1 Like