Resistant low - puzzling?

Hi Jan -

When you had that persistent low, had you recently put on a new G6 sensor?

I often have problems with the g6 sensor as it tries to calibrate and I get persistent lows as reported in the sensor which have no bearing on my actual blood sugar. But it sounds like you tested with another meter, correct?

Just trying to eliminate the possibility that you were getting a low reading because of issues with your cgm.

e

1 Like

I used to use xDrip+ and it has much better prediction algorithms and a much better UI than either the Dexcom app or SugarMate, but it only runs on Android. The iOS (iPhone) app spike-app is apparently derived from the same code base, but to install it requires doing fancy computer stuff; Apple 86ed it from the app store (see the spike-app web pages). I haven’t tried it yet.

A lot of these apps use Dexcom share, which means they stop working if the internet connection is lost. SugarMate is an example, Clarity is another, Glooko is a third. In theory the apps should work reliably using Apple Health because that is all on the iPhone itself, I don’t think an equivalent exists for Android. Unfortunately Dexcom make this impossible by delaying updates to Apple Health; getting a predictive low alarm 3 hours too late just won’t work. Glooko also uses Apple Health, which makes it very confusing,

The only reliable way round this that I can see are apps that are basically designed for looping, specifically Loop, or xDrip+. Loop aparently has some way of getting the data out of the Dexcom app in real time, xDrip+ (or Spike) completely replaces the Dexcom app. I don’t like the latter because I have had dropped connection problems on my Android machine, I don’t know if I would have the same issues on iOS; Spike user forums are on FaceBook and I don’t think I can get a FaceBook login. My feeling is that I would rather rely on a fully supported Dexcom app to read the transmitter even if that is all the app is really capable of doing.

Loop integrates with Apple Health, NightScout and TidePool. The latter two get data using the internet, however there is apparently some promise of TidePool being able to drive the Insulet Omnipod Dash pods in the future and TidePool does have a “mobile” app, at least for Apple.

The thing here that matters for MDI, of course, is not the pump integration :roll_eyes:, it’s the predictive capabilities. I don’t know if Loop can do that without having a pump attached but I don’t see why not. So Loop seems to offer an alternative solution to xDrip+/Spike-App, but I don’t know enough about it yet. Unfortunately Loop needs even more fancy computer stuff than Spike and it doesn’t run on Android.

2 Likes

I’m betting that from the cows viewpoint it is exactly the same as watching the two-legs slip in the mud; it’s a three step process:

1. Isn’t this great?

2. Uh oh:

!

3. Oh shxt:

The photos are out of focus because I was doing broadly the same thing, but with a cellphone in my hand, at the same time. Lots of exercise.

3 Likes

I used to know I was too low mostly due to sweating but now I only know I am going low as vision gets fuzzy. I noticed two people on this post mentioned vision disturbance. Strangely my vision gets really clear in the 80s and is not as good higher or lower than that. In the 80s I can really SEE.

1 Like

@bostrav59
It was day 6 of a new sensor (i.e. not restarted). And this sensor has been a “good” one, tracking my meter pretty closely.

Seems like it wasn’t the sensor…

e

1 Like

@RCA221
My opthalmologist said that even relatively small changes in BG can cause vision changes. She said that I should try to have steady and “good” BG level when I come in to get an eyeglasses prescription. Not always easy to do! :blush:

No kidding it’s tuff but I try to keep myself within my range of 65-150. So far I have not been outside the range for 10 days. First time going that long.

2 Likes

@RCA221
That’s awesome! Congrats!

High blood sugar definitely messes with my visual acuity. It’s not very good anyway; I have myopia with a -10D prescription (-9 with contact lenses.) Still, it’s not a reliable indicator for me; I rely on the general feel of my body.

1 Like

Glucose tablets work for me, about a 30 minute delay til effect.

1 Like

@pax4pax
Yes, I tried 3 x 15 g of dextrose tablets, 15 g of apple juice, and 18 g of graham crackers and 2hours before I could get it back up.

1 Like

That clarifies something. I had absolutely no idea Smarties was a US brand of dextrose tablets. All the time I thought you were talking about Smarties chocolate, which apparently isn’t distributed in the US at all.

4 Likes

I don’t know if you eat a lot of beans (I do - I only eat plants) but this effect is absolutely real.

1 Like

I don’t eat a lot of beans. Just in Mexican food occasionally. I’m an omnivore.

1 Like

Jan, can I send you some glucagon?

1 Like

@Eric
Thanks, but I have some, and a prescription that I can refill. :blush:

1 Like

Just something to observe.

1 Like

For the persistent lows, a micro-dose of glucagon can be very helpful. Just a small amount, like 5-10 units.

Fill the powder vial with the solution like you normally would, and then use a standard insulin syringe and draw out only 5-10 units and inject it. Super easy.

Once it is mixed, the glucagon will last a few days. So you can use it again if needed.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s super helpful info. I bet not very many people know you can do that.

1 Like