Quick answer search! Sudden insulin resistance due to illness or any reason?

I’m going through this as well! :frowning: Can’t pinpoint why. My TDD is triple what it normally is, same food intake, exercise level, no illness, no stress increase, etc. Maybe using the pod on my arm, even though I had been using it on my arm before this issue. I’ve noticed in past that absorption can be less effective on my upper, back arm than abdomen (typical area), but from time-to-time I use it anyway. Or, perhaps this is just due to seasonal changes - winter to spring? I might try the fasting as well! I’ve done one 3-day fast in the past and that did indeed help, but it was a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

I’m sorry. They seem to be awful. I get one or two a year, but EH gets them a lot. Lays potato chips, pineapple in any form, walnuts, whitening toothpaste are all triggers. Then it’s like a major depressive episode, and the BG goes nuts and he sleeps as if he was at 300 and can’t stay awake. It’s fascinating to have realized all the things that go together. I wouldn’t wish them on anybody. :frowning: We have a young friend (12) who gets them from toothpaste with sodium laurel sulfate and he also has behavioral issues when they happen. Major meltdowns.

Anyhow, a bit off topic, but interesting EH isn’t alone AND that they jack with BG.

2 Likes

If there are those unexplainable fluctuation and they are significant, I always look at the last thing I have done. You mentioned the pod on your arm, which is unusual for you. It should not make a difference, I have them always on my upper arms and shoulders, but you could have hit a “bad spot” that is absorbing the insulin and kind of pockets it. It has not happened with a pod for me yet, but I remember with the use of syringes, hitting painful spots, spots that started to swell up with the injection material , spots into a vein and the injection was pretty much useless. I don’t think that the pod would tell you that but the moment you change it, look at the insertion needle to see if there is unusual blood on it. With the micro doses, you probably won’t see swelling of the site if the insulin is not absorbed. But this could be all “mechanical” reasons instead of illness, hormonal or the typical known issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response, @John. Makes sense. It might indeed be due to poor placement. I’ve since moved it to my other arm, and absorption is much better, though I’m still not at my normal insulin dosage. I’ll see how tomorrow goes, day 2 on my other arm :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

How are you doing now, John?

1 Like