Pump Decision

Yes.

4 Likes

@EdD if I signed up for Omnipod, would I have a choice of Omnipod generations to take advantage of Loop? I also know Tidepool Loop is in front of the FDA. Hoping it will be Android compatible.

2 Likes

Thanks @ClaudnDaye ! Iā€™m super interested in the Pod, just trying to figure out if there are any disadvantages to switching beyond using up hoarded Tandem supplies before converting. The algorithms especially interest me as I am super happy with CIQ

2 Likes

If youā€™re considering Omnipod you have to ask yourself which ā€œPodsā€ youā€™re interested inā€¦the eros allow you to loop (DIY), the Dash ones donā€™t (right now). Although Dash is the one that is being tested in the official loop app that may be released sometime in the future. The Eros ones allow the DIY looping that we do with Liam.

4 Likes

I was actually referring to my current implementation, which is the old-school PDM.

Personally I would never switch to the new Dash PDM. No BG meter, no ability to do your own Loop algorithm (at the mercy of whatever ā€œtheyā€ deem to be ā€œgoodā€), needing to recharge it every few days instead of batteries that last a month, crappy menus, etc, etc.

I am at one with the old PDM. No looking required. :grinning:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure about the choice but hopefully you would. You would definitely need to ask.

I read a lot - outside this forum and loop docs I thought this post was very helpful.

Ed

4 Likes

You probably know this, but Tandem will also be releasing a patch pump this year.

https://www.healthline.comg/diabetesmine/new-diabetes-technology-coming-in-2021

Something to consider since you seem real happy with CIQ.

4 Likes

I do, and Iā€™m not super interested in the T:Sport. I am interested in the upcoming CIQ algo iteration and the Omnipod Tidepool Loop/Horizon feature sets and specifically how far out they are. I know T Tidepool submitted late last year and they are currently doing UX studies on the interface. The DIY Loop I would very much be into, but unless Iā€™m wrong you need Apple based equipment to make it work.

5 Likes

if you keep your blood sugar very tightly controlled, Iā€™m guessing the Horizon wonā€™t be as appealing. Looking at the data, it seems like people had an average BG upwards of 150, which I think is higher than what CIQ accomplishes.

2 Likes

Whatā€™ the next CIQ algorithm iteration? Does it allow tighter control or auto-detecting meals?

Do you have a link? I am curious what their BG targets are.

The relevant part is table 2, I think?

Targets can range from 100 to 150. But I suspect even targeting 100, theyā€™re spending a lot of time stuck in the 140 to 180 range ā€“ not catastrophically dangerous but certainly not the goal.

5 Likes

I know they submitted a revised CIQ algorithm to the FDA in Q4 2020. I read somewhere (and I canā€™t place the link at the moment) that the CIQ revision allowed for a lower threshold, possibly 110 instead of 150. How accurate that information is I donā€™t know. Iā€™ll look for the linkā€¦

1 Like

I think you can just be in sleep mode all the time and target 110 even now with the algorithm?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that, but have not tried it personally.

1 Like

Yes, on the X2 with CIQ, just put it in sleep mode. I think it targets 112.
Thing is, in sleep mode, it does NOT do a bolus. It only adjusts the basals (I like this method, just wish we could be more aggressive.)
It also limits some other things on how it makes basal corrections, and forces your insulin time to 5 hours. I know with Fiasp I personally use 3 1/2 hours, others use 3 hours. Depending on how it works with them.

3 Likes

Do you mind explaining why your son didnā€™t like the Omnipod?

So just when I think Iā€™ve made up my mind re: pump, some new insight comes my way that throws a monkey wrench into this. Iā€™ve yet to go through the inital pump class through the hospital (June 3) but I have been in contact with both OmniPod and Tandem. Omnipod was able to send us some Demo Pods just to try on wearing. So far heā€™s worn one for 3 days on his arm and had no complaints- no rash to adhesive, doesnā€™t bother with sleeping, forgets its even there. So that was a big plus. We have 2 more demo pods to try that they sent so we could put them in different areas just to see where he might like best (or really dislike).

Honestly, I had my mind made up for awhile to go with Tandem Control IQ. Iā€™ve read a lot of positive (here and other places) about the control it provides, ease of use, and how much easier it made diabetes management in kids. I wasnā€™t thrilled with the idea about not being water proof (big plus for omnipod) or the tubes (although I was optomistic heā€™d get used to it).

BUT, I REALLY donā€™t like the idea that we are locked into Tandem for 4 years per insurance under the Durable Medical Equipment coverage. The tandem rep I talked to said thatā€™s how it works, although she failed to follow up with my specific insurance, so I"m going with that is how it works. I really really dislike the idea of going with something we have no experience with and being locked in until my son is almost a teenager.

So back to Omnipod. I know a lot of you do the DIY loop and love it. We are a tech savy family so I think we could get things up and running, HOWEVER, I personally want something to make things easier and less to fuss with, and it just seemed like the DIY route was going to add more to the transition to a pump than I personally wanted to get into. Furthermore, the Pod rep said the Eros pods (which is what works with Loop, right?) is under DME, NOT pharmacy (which is what Dash is under), so again, weā€™d be locked in.

So that takes me to Omnipod. I donā€™t see a whole lot anywhere about Dash. But I do know Horizon is coming as is perhaps Tidepool Loop to be able to loop with omnipod. The rep said the new Horizon will likewise be covered under pharmacy (meaning we arenā€™t locked into anything), and if we started on Dash, we could switch to Horizon as soon as our insurance picks it up (which would be the delay).

My husband isnā€™t thrilled with the idea of a closed loop depending on Dexcom as Dexcom isnā€™t always the most reliable (lagging on lows and highs, and every once and a while just really off no matter what you do). Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but canā€™t you turn off the closed loop and approve any changes before the pump makes them?

Anyway, Iā€™m back to leaning towwards OmniPod for now if for no other reason than that dang insurance requirement. If we just donā€™t like it, we could always switch to Tandem at that point. And a part of me says that at this point weā€™d be happy with it as it would be an improvement over MDI regardless. Any more insight would be appreciated.

2 Likes

DIY Loop was very easy - complete instructions makes it easy for anyone - programmer or not. I happen to be, but know many others who are not and as long as they read the instructions and followed them to the letter, loop is up and running in no time. Since I set mine up some things have changed in the back end, but the instructions are still idiot proof for the most part.

I had Liamā€™s loop set up in probably 6 hours? And most of that 6 hours was waiting for xCode and other apps to download and get set up onto the Mac. If you and your husband are technically saavy then I canā€™t imagine why youā€™d have an issue.

The benefits of loop are too many to mention, but most important for us was the nighttime peace of mind. Before loop (with just PODs) nighttime highs were something we struggled with immensely. Loop solved that for us. The ability to receive microboluses (FreeAPS) instead of relying on a portion of basal to be given really helped avoid highs and bring them down much faster if/once high.

I donā€™t ever see going to anything else honestly. We went from around a 7% A1C before loop to mid 5ā€™s with loop and itā€™s less work for me with loop as well. Less handling devices to do things because loop does them for me. Settings have to be correct and thatā€™s the hardest part of loop (any looping system I would think, not just Omniloop)ā€¦but once you spend the time to get the settings right, it really is paradise (for us anyway.)

You can find many images from me on Liamā€™s BGs that Iā€™m very proud of and most of that has been because of Loop and itā€™s ability to act more like a functioning pancreas.

Yes, Eros is what you loop with. Dash does not work. If we are locked in, I donā€™t know it but wouldnā€™t care either way because we love them. We donā€™t want to go to dash at all.

This is what they told me tooā€¦3 years ago? :smiley: Horizon is coming somewhere out there over the horizonā€¦

With Omniloop you can be Open Loop (you make decisions) or closed loop (where loop makes decisions based on your settings.) I always recommend open loop for folks that are just beginning until youā€™re comfortable with looping in general, have all your settings correct and then test closed loop in controlled environments/timesā€¦once you are able to trust it, then turn it to full closed loop. Weā€™ve been closed loop since the beginning and weā€™ve had no issuesā€¦Liam is also someone who Dexcom isnā€™t always reliable for (when he is showing > 250 and < 60). Iā€™ve done finger sticks every 5 minutes on many tests to see just how much Dexcom is off by and if, perhaps he actually did go low and what Iā€™m seeing is the residual rise after the fall, but thatā€™s not correct. Liam literally doesnā€™t go as low (many times) as Dexcom says he did and not as high as Dexcom says he did. When looping, all you have to do is calibrate to adjust those times the Dexcom is off and loop will adjust itā€™s algorithms to the new number.

2 Likes

@diabeatit2020 I am also evaluating for similar reasons. Currently I run Tandem with CIQ. LOVE IT! I confess however to having tube free envy. I am also heavily into Android and not the Apple ecosystem.

Soā€¦ What to get for my pump replacement this year?

Omnipod

• tubeless (yay!)
  • RX cost, not DME
  • Horizon ( Omnipod 5) slated to be released this year. (A Omnipod version of Loop, not to be confused with Tidepool Loop, or the DIY Loop)

Tandem

• CIQ! For me, an amazing improvement. :slightly_smiling_face:
  • DME cost :disappointed:
  • Tubed, which requires 10 units minimum to prime.
  • NEW CIQ algorithm scheduled to be available later this year :grin:

Choices.

2 Likes