Pulmonary function test for Afrezza

So, I just called to schedule the pulmonary function test and was a little surprised that the test my NP ordered lasts for 90 minutes. Is that consistent with what you’ve experienced or a little overkill? I’ve seen others able to meet with the Afrezza rep at the endo’s office, but this test is scheduled at the hospital through a cardiac department. There was some confusion on what was requisite on his part, so I thought I’d bounce it off you all.

1 Like

:confused: My PFT took about 5 mins total, with the nurse explaining, hooking everything up, actual test, etc. If I had to breathe like I did for the test for 90 mins, well, I wouldn’t make it, because I got lightheaded just doing those few breaths!

2 Likes

It is overkill. The test that is specified and required is a 3-minute test.

2 Likes

Yes, I think there is some sort of mistake. Do you happen to have a link from afrezza about said test?

ETA:
Nevermind…found a link here.

https://www.afrezza.com/hcp/spirometry-info/

2 Likes

Just watched two people get the test this morning. Rep was in the area, trained the NP on how to do it. Super easy. Inhale, blow as hard as you can into a disposable paper tube, which is fitted into a measuring device with a little fan. Maybe two minutes total, including recording the results. You get theee chances, they record the most favorable.

2 Likes

This is helpful to know! I sent my NP the link to the site. Afrezza even has a spirometer loaner program to offices, so it should be really easy. Hoping we can get someone in our area to do some training.

1 Like

5 min for me on the initial test and 6 month follow up.

1 Like

No. This is BS. This is a full pulmonary function test for people who actually have pulmonary problems. The FEV1 (which you’re supposed to have for afrezza) is only one tiny part of that. The full PFT costs like a couple thousand bucks. The fev1 alone can be done by a medical assistant and likely wouldn’t be charged for whatsoever as it’s about as involved as checking blood pressure. Furthermore-- if the expensive full PFT isn’t medically necessary your insurance is not obligated to pay for it and may or may not do so. I did the full PFT and told my doc I’ll never do it again unless it’s medically necessary.

5 Likes

I think just the fact that it’s booked at the hospital’s cardiac department, rather than the respirology department or asthma clinic, is an indication that the wrong test has been ordered. (Though it also depends on the size of the hospital.)

On the other hand, extra time might be booked just because it’s a hospital setting. I get a full PFT every six months, because I have asthma, and it takes 15 minutes tops, but the office always books it for an hour, just because.

2 Likes

Yeah they did explain that to me when I did it… many of the patients getting PFTs are senior citizens with major breathing problems who can’t understand or follow the instructions very well so it is painstakingly slow and they have to a lot a lot of time to them.

All that’s needed is a “fev1 spirometry” it’s one of the many components of a PFT but it could be done anywhere by anyone. Any primary care clinic should be able to do it. We used to do them in middle school health class. A medical assistant can do them with an inexpensive handheld device— whereas with a PFT you’re taking about a hospital apppintment, expensive highly specialized equipment that occupies a whole room st the hospital-- a respiratory therapist (likely) administering the exams and a pulmonologist evauatinf it… it’s a whole bunch of stuff that’s not needed for an afrezza script.

3 Likes