Panic Insulin Corrections: Your Story

Yep, My latest habit for corrections after starting the Omnipod is using the bolus calculator on “normal” days, and tweaking the calculated correction bolus up or down based on gut feel on either inactive days (like today, stuck pecking away on my computer a good part of the day ugh) or strenuous days.

3 Likes

Last night for me was another YO-YO evening. I was trending low in the later part fo the afternoon, and when my BG got down to 60, I Took a glucose tablet (4gms) which usually brings me up by around 20 points. I waited about 45 minutes (yes, those tablets do take that long to see results for me). Nothing budged; in fact , my BG went lower. So, I took another 1.5 tablets and waited. Nothing. Not one iota. So, in sheer frustration, especially bc dinnertime was approaching, I took another tablet and lowered my basal by .025 units/hr. (I was thinking that bc I had had a very strong workout that day, that maybe I was needing less basal insulin due to greater IS.

Well, within the next 1/2 hour, my BG shot up to 126 with my cgm reading 138 with arrow straight up. Oh crap. Everything had hit all at once. A compounded sugar surge. So when I bolused for dinner, I thought I would account for the potential of the spike (based upon my cgm reading arrow) and I bolused harder than necessary. I added on a hefty correction for my meal to compensate for whatever the potential spike would be, and, to top it off, I raised my basal bk up to 100%. Oy Vay.

It turned out that within about 5 minutes, my cgm read 119 with a straight arrow. So now I anticipated going low, and that is exactly what happened. I ended up in my low 40s within an hour. Just when I think I have a real handle on this disease, it bights me in the ass and laughs at me.

Well, all worked out in the end. I had some chocolate after dinner, followed by some wheat thins. and I landed nicely at a BG of 86. Phew.

This morning I was going low, so I just corrected with glucose tabs and let it ride out. No corrections, no changing of basal, nada. I may need to lower my basal, though, bc of all the exercise I’ve done this week. but one thing at a time. right now my BG is at a comfortable 74. :blush:

3 Likes

I don’t pay much attention to the CGM arrows. As far as I understand them, they show how your BG has been trending over the past few minutes, not how it’s going to trend in the next few minutes. I have seen double up arrows suddenly turn to a straight arrow. So I use the graph trend and the current BG, and my knowledge of what actions I’ve taken to see what might happen in the next few minutes/hours.

5 Likes

I agree with this thought. The arrows help sometimes, i.e. the double arrow down seems to be helpful at times, but most of the time the arrow is ignored.

1 Like

Glad you got things sorted, these events happen to us on a reasonably frequent basis and are quite frustrating for my son. They usually occur around high stress times, but not always.

1 Like

Thank you for this. It’s very very helpful information for me. I have only been using this FSLibre for about 1 year, and I am still trying to get use to it. Sometimes the readings are dead on, but other times, it can be quite off compared to my finger stick. (in fact, I just had this happen 2 minutes ago (up arrow, then straight arrow. The up arrow made no sense, so I ignored it. Phew.)

Yoyo-ing is (and has always been) a problem for me. (i’m T1D for 16yrs now) ; in fact, given i exercise quite a lot (daily run, 3x gym weekly and a few rides here and there), i’m often eating (my steady state is to be munching on something) and bolussing - so I find i’m almost always on a ‘glycemic excursion’ of one type or the other (up or down). It’s difficult to know when to leave a high (am i about to go for a run? has some insulin-on-board taken longer to act than usual and is about to launch into effect?) or try to zap it. the more i tinker, the more time i devote to management, and the more likely errors are. so i try hard to leave it. I probably bolus 5-7 times per day at the moment, which includes split dosing for late dinners.
One thing i find really difficult to deal with is managing the BG spike after treating an overnight hypo. if i’ve been low for >1hr or so (e.g. overnight), i tend to find any amount of treatment (just 10g) will cause a huge spike. i feel i need to inject bolus as soon as i treat the hypo, otherwise i’ll jump from 2.5-3mmol to 15-20 in half an hour or less. even a small glass of orange juice (150ml, call it 15g?) and i’ll likely zoom up, even if i bolus… then i’m fighting the high, and off we go to yoyoland.
It’s not easy, i tell you…

5 Likes

Exactly!! I think it must be mental! Maybe I sabotage myself, or I get careless and don’t use the same daily precautions, but this disease never lets one rest on their laurels!

2 Likes

ALL. THE. TIME. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes