Oramed Oral Insulin?

Based on the Seeking Alpha article, oral insulin might actually be financially feasible, but will it actually come to market and when?

Seeking Alpha: The Math Behind Oramed’s Oral Insulin Suggests It’s Economically Viable. https://seekingalpha.com/article/4242436-math-behind-orameds-oral-insulin-suggests-economically-viable

2 Likes

So this looks like a way to get the Type 2’s on insulin sooner to try and prevent further degradation of their pancreatic system. Good idea, I guess this is assuming there is a big hurdle for patients learning and using a basal bolus injection regimen.

1 Like

IMHO since many Diabetics get little or no nutritional education to try and mitigate the effects of high bgs, I think the less is more approach is sadly needed. I also think that there are many insulin Dependant Ds that have rarely adjusted their Insulin without a Dr telling them to - sort of like the “I take a pill and don’t worry about it” crowd.

3 Likes

The model does not appear super convincing to me though. Did you notice it is human insulin? And you have to use 7x as much as injected human insulin, so the cost is practically the same as fast-acting biosimilars, but you get the peaking action of human insulin, with the additional slow-down (I think—not 100% sure there) of oral ingestion.

1 Like

Correct, but it appears to me that the goal is to get people on insulin sooner, which must mean they think the barrier is the injection, or the calculations required to do that. If they succeed the number of people on insulin therapy will increase, so that may be where they think their market niche is.

2 Likes

Here’s an update on the original post:

3 Likes

Kind of neat, seems like it would make more sense for a type 2, but always good to have options.

2 Likes

I agree that makes more sense for type 2s. The dosage inflexibility makes it less attractive for me as a type 1.