Optimal BG level for sleeping

That’s an interesting possibility. I suppose the 24-hour duration isn’t quite 24 hours, right? In my case, though, I’m already taking all of it in the evening and would still like a little more during the night. So far it’s not a dealbreaker, so I think I’ll just stick with the current solution a while longer.

Thanks for your input anyway!

1 Like

It would be interesting to see a study on that, though I wonder how it would be designed. I’m thinking it would be hard to tell whether the overnight BG has a direct effect on the following day or if they simply have another common cause.

I am using a Tandem T-slim pump. Since I upgraded the software to their Control-IQ the pump takes over at 10pm and stays in Sleep Mode until 7am the next morning. It regulates my blood glucose with a target range somewhere around 110. On occasion it has failed to bring me down from a 10pm high, I think because of insulin resistance. And twice I have had to treat a low, because it had cranked down my basal to 0 and I still went low. But it has taken all the worry out of going to bed (how much and when did I eat, how much of that is still digesting, what is my insulin on board, is any of that still being absorbed because of a site problem, how much exercise did I have today, do I have a cold, am I dehydrated, etc). I am so pleased to wake up every morning between 100 and 130! It makes constant adjustments as if I were staying up all night and doing it myself, and it does it better than I do. It has let me relax every night and just not worry. So of course I sleep better.

My experience, might not be yours.

5 Likes

That matches our experience with Control IQ, we actually use sleep mode to great effect for 23.9 hours per day. It really takes a lot of the work out of things, much more autopilot.

2 Likes

Thanks @Chris. I searched and found your other comments on sleep mode in various threads. Very helpful. We should probably have a thread on 24-hour sleep mode.

1 Like

Me too. If I’m about 150-300, I sleep like a rock. Over 300, the need to pee/drink starts to interfere, but before that, it seems to be somewhat sedating to me. Which is not a good reason to run high and not something I ever do intentionally, but as someone who sometimes has difficultly sleeping through the night, not going to lie, there have been some nights where it happened and I then ended up feeling it was kinda worth the trade-off.

That said, my aim is to be somewhere around 80-110. I agree with the people who find it easier to stay in range during the day if you start there.

3 Likes

Good Idea Randy!

I sure hope my tslim pump will do the same when I get it. I have 263 days left. I am tired of having to get up in the night and fix a low.:rofl::weary::triumph:

2 Likes

@cardamom I totally agree, not my preference to be 150+ overnight but nonetheless, I always end up sleeping well when it happens (as long as I’m not over 250).

1 Like

I hope the Tslim with Control IQ works well for you as well. As long as my son doesn’t have a rage bolus late at night, we have only had 1-2 lows per week while using Control IQ, which is down from 8-10+ per week prior to Basal IQ being released. Why the long wait for the pump?

1 Like

@Dee, I had longer than you for my Animas warranty to expire, and no possibility of getting it paid for before that. Medtronic offered a replacement free and I took them up on it, but eventually paid my OWN MONEY for the Tandem because I just could not wait.

I was uncomfortable with BG below about 160 at bedtime with the Animas. Too much exercise that day and it meant almost certain lows if I went to bed below that. Could cut basal rate, but often did not get it right because exercise is such a wildcard and might wake up over 250 in the morning. The Tandem stays awake while I sleep and fixes all that almost all the time. My A1c is way down, proving that I was one of the ones who needed a smarter pump. And I sleep better, with no hard decisions to make before I go to bed.

3 Likes

My warranty isn’t up until February of 2021. I had an animas 2020 but got a medtronic 630g for the rest of my warranty. The Ontario government pays for a new pump every 5 years.

1 Like

And I bet it doesn’t alarm you to freaking death. T-slim will be my next pump. I’ve had it with this Medtronic 670g. I love Automode, but (I guess since is the first version) there are so many issues. I used to wake me up so many @#$% times a night I now sleep through the alarms. Fingers crossed I don’t sleep through a low alarm that may be one that needs to wake me.

2 Likes

Thankfully alarms on the Tslim are few and far between.

@PerfectHorse, others have commented on the 670G problems that are vexing you. It sounds like a problem with the sensors. Alarm fatigue can develop if you don’t think the alarms you are getting are really necessary.

I have all my Tslim alarms on vibrate, and it’s pretty feeble in my leather belt case with an extra layer of neoprene skin protecting the pump against impacts, so I check them during the day but probably would sleep through them at night. I use xDrip+ for real alarms, and that vibrates my Sony watch. It’s not much stronger, but I am attuned to it, and against my wrist it wakes me up immediately.

I do have one issue with the Tslim alarms. When it panics (runs out of insulin, for example) it starts a loud rising “boo-boo-beep” beeping. If that happens in a theater or funeral it is disruptive. So I have a little piece of T-tape on the back of the pump and put it over the speaker on occasions like that. Thankfully those alarms are rare with the Tslim and G6.

1 Like

When I was on MDI and no CGM I would go to bed with a higher number. I had to allow for drops I sometimes get.

But now I like to go to bed around 95-105, I try not to be below 95 as off and on I do drop during sleep. I have a CGM to wake me but I don’t really want to be woken. I can sleep through the 200’s or more as I’ve never felt highs even though I am rarely over 160.

I know I still sleep fine with high Bg’s as I have my alarm set at 180 for night (I like my sleep and get DP sometimes). But a few months ago I was woken by a high alert, I gave myself an adjustment and went back to sleep to be woken by the repeat 2 hour alarm with an over 300 reading. I would have kept sleeping. I never dipped below the original 180 so my alarm didn’t go off again until 2 hours later and it turns out the new pod I had put on wasn’t working properly. This would be why it’s not a good idea to put on a new pod before bedtime.

2 Likes

I feel like this is universal for all pumps. A good number of site problems can be picked up early if you are looking, but it is hard to pay attention when asleep.

4 Likes

I do not know if living with diabetes and a restful sleep can be possible. I don’t think that I have slept an entire night through since diagnosis.

4 Likes

Wow that is rough. Is the blood sugar alarms or something else keeping you from a restful sleep?

3 Likes