Omnipod Horizon study paused - Time to Market expected early 2021

Tandem’s t:Sport is just around the corner too

The tidepool solution is still, apparently, on course and it is Apple only and uses the current “Dash” pods. I still haven’t got my head around tidepool; what it does at present doesn’t make any sense to me (the phone app doesn’t seem to have any history, despite getting readings), but I’m sure I’ll work it out.

I was carrying three for a while; life was fine with xDrip+ on my (Android) phone until it stopped working for me (probably my phone, but I don’t know). So I went back to the Dexcom receiver, bought an XR (plus the insurance; I drop these things on concrete all the time; my Android phone bounced just fine, I tested it several times) and am trying to get to grips with iOS development etc.

These are trying times. The tech is there, it can be done, but not, apparently, before the day I die.

You need to create a Note in the Tidepool mobile app. Then BGs and pump data will display there and in the webapp. You do need to add permissions to the Apple Health app first for Dexcom and Loop.

I did create one, but I only saw 7 hours readings before the note. This doesn’t make any sense to me; why should I need to create a note every 7 hours to see the readings? And, anyway, where is the app that does that automatically…

I probably shouldn’t be posting that here, there is this guy “Christopher Snider, Tidepool” who keeps sending me messages, at a rate where I am about to permanently mark him as spam. At this point I guess I’m coming to the conclusion I don’t want to live in this tidepool. (I do love tidepools, I stick my head into them all the time.)

A few minutes later: @Trying, you are much more motivating that @Snider. I actually logged in to Tidepool on the web and, WOW, all the data is there.

So, why is it not on my phone? Never mind, this isn’t a problem for anyone on this list.

1 Like

Great!! Nice to see all your data, isn’t it?

I don’t use the Tidepool mobile app much but it us necessary for syncing Apple Health to the website. I did modify the code though to automatically create a Note for my Apple Workouts. They get sent to Tidepool and Nightscout. Just another data point to view!:slight_smile:

1 Like

So how do you read the data?

[Note: this is not off-topic, since Insulet have delayed TTM Tidepool are the only contender in the field.]

I mean I mostly use the Tidepool webapp to view my BGs and pump data, rather than create a Note in the mobile app. Those all get synced to the webapp if you have Apple Health permissions enabled.

1 Like

Right. That’s the problem I’m having. A lot of the time when it counts I don’t have the innernet; so heroku (Nightscout) and Tidepool itself just aren’t there; think a 13 hour flight across the Pacific. Think a hike into the Kalmiopsis for that matter.

I need my cell to connect to everything that I am controlling from it. If not, I do have a fallback; I can juice myself with Humalog every now and then. Obviously I don’t want to use that fallback, so I expect the not-yet-dropped-on-concrete cell to do its job.

Insulet’s solution, as @Jason99 recently pointed out to me (indirectly) has considerable merit and, therefore, the fact that they are cancelling it makes me curious about the limitations of tidepool.

1 Like

TidePool Is not on track now either. Their last public statement a few weeks ago, gave the impression that their loop system is not going to get through the FDA without significant changes. Their ETA for release of the second half of 2020 was pulled and now they’re saying there is no estimated date of release.

1 Like

Indeed. Fortunately Tandem still are, as Kim Blickenstaff of Tandem recently (this Nov 6, 2019 article) stated, and I quote-quote Kim verbatim:

“I’ve seen the New England Journal publication serve as an inflection point for companies and transform their business by establishing their products as a new standard-of-care,” he said. “This is our vision for automated insulin delivery systems and the goal for our Control-IQ technology.”

I can show many illustrations of that very point, but not one is SFW.

That is a powerful statement.

As to your question of Tidepool, I don’t get them either. Their system is a hot mess to setup and use. Insulet is making a huge mistake with trying to launch two completely different algorithms on their OmniPod at the same time. This will just confuse current and potential patients.

1 Like

I suspect they learned something from the UST400->Dash transition; in this case they have the Dash pods in the market and if Tidepool can add value by implementing a loop system on top of them they clearly win. Meanwhile they have space to develop their own stuff. The US market means that there are still people tied to the UST400 because the PDM can only be replaced every two years (or so) and, anyway, the medical establishment has never welcomed change.

I don’t see a downside from their viewpoint.