Non-Invasive Testing That Works

Non-Invasive Testing That Works

One of the most exciting things we saw on the expo floor was a company called DiabetOmics out of Oregon, which is poised to soon launch a new non-invasive BG control test and two “point-of-care” diagnostic tools that could change diabetes treatment!

The first is Glucema, a saliva test that measures your average glucose readings over the past 1-2 weeks. It’s a little stick that collects a drop of saliva and provides an immediate result. It connects to a handheld reader device that records results and can transfer them to mobile devices, and an app that can track results and also the patient’s insulin doses and other parameters, and provide “alerts for critical readings and adverse outcomes.” TBD on exactly how the app works, but this non-invasive test – with study results to back its accuracy – looks pretty exciting!

The other two tests, which are also administered right in the clinic or physician’s practice with no need to go to a lab, are:

Insudex, for early detection of type 1 diabetes and LADA (Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults) – a USB-stick-sized device that takes a fingerstick blood sample and provides results with 2-5 minutes. Those results show a variety of autobody levels including GAD and C-peptide that indicate T1D. Imagine, all those sophisticated results with just one drop of blood right in your doctor’s office!

And finally Lumella - a similar test for detection of preeclampsia and gestational diabetes. Seriously, this could do away with the need for the traditional Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) that requires drinking disgusting liquid and hanging around in a lab for hours. The company boasts high accuracy: “90% of subjects with a positive Lumella test in the first trimester will test positive with the OGTT at 24-28 weeks gestation.”

All these are coming to market in early 2018, we’re told.

https://twitter.com/EBDiabetes/status/875354099188981760

Can you share your thoughts on this (Glucema)?

2 Likes

This Healthline article was really excellent!

Here is a Glucema direct link: http://glucemapoc.com/

The manufacturer is calling it a point-of-care device: it would likely be used at the doctor’s office then. That’s too bad: I could see using it at home very 2 weeks, to see how the Dexcom results are lining up with a mini A1c test. I am guessing this also means that it is going to be costly.

I don’t think that an endo is going to forsake an A1c measurement – so I am not 100% sure how much success this will have. To me, it would be more valuable for patients!

2 Likes

Micheal, totally agree with you. It will be more useful to the users rather than the healthcare providers. I guess they probably will price the device at a relatively high point so that only the healthcare providers will be able to afford them. That’s too bad.

1 Like