"New" to Omnipod and Pumping: 4 years in and I feel like I'm missing something

It was after the colonoscopy that I learned that I should not be allowed to talk after waking up from anesthesia. I was very chatty. It was apparently epic. I found this out from my husband and also from the gastro at my follow-up appointment.

Apparently it’s poor form to say to your gastro, “You’ve seen a lot of butts. How did mine rank? Did I make the top ten?”

3 Likes

The other really funny thing, was the feeling of needing to “fluff” after the procedure. They told my wife to just let it go, she wouldn’t and made them put her in the bathroom, then ripped an epic 45 second “fluff” that left me and nurse on the floor with laughter after she exclaimed “nothing came out” which is what they had been telling her for the last 30 minutes

1 Like

The charge nurse, whom I had named “Big Dog” after my procedure since I was watching her direct all of the nurses in our pod after my procedure, told me that I should come out for the next Girls’ Night. I thought she was asking me on a date. I very seriously informed her, “Big Dog, I am married. To a man. But I am SO flattered that you would want to date me.”

2 Likes

I bought a Faraday wallet and just tried the snazzy Dexcom restart trick from the link below:

Worked really well! I’m in a very short window in which I can do my basal testing and this restart trick is helping me immensely.

1 Like

Thanks to @Eric and @daisymae and @Nickyghaleb, I was able to do four hours of outdoor work (trail maintenance) in the heat of summer without going low and without being anxious about lows. I’ve never been that comfortable before. Thanks for your exercise experiments on display for all our benefit! This is a game changer for me.

5 Likes

Thanks for your help fixing the trails. My family just got back from a 3-day backpacking trip and we are really glad that people volunteer to do the trail maintenance that allowed us to do our 20 miles on the PCT without issue. Gotta love waterfalls, vista’s and volcano’s.

4 Likes

isnt it awesome not worrying about going low!!! its been a game changer for me as well. i use to not go swimming if i was under 160. now i can jump in at 80 (with the help of some pre-swim carbs :wink:)

2 Likes

I’m learning right along with you. I haven’t quite mastered it… obviously. :grin:

1 Like

I spend my LIFE looking for the “other cause” in things. They’re very sneaky.

@T1Allison, I need to head back to the start of this thread and follow it from the beginning, but if you’re still wanting fellow FUDers to kee an eye on post-shower numbers, I can volunteer.

I don’t shower as often as I should, but there should be weekly reports at the minimum. :grin:

Just a joke… I’m a regular-showerer.

1 Like

Currently I’m seeing my CGM get confused by the shower (up/down/up/down)…then it figures itself out afterward…and then I am definitely on the downward trend. I really watch proximity to last bolus before showering these days. That makes a big difference. I should also point out that I take nuclear showers. If it doesn’t sting, why shower in the first place? So that might be part of the problem, too. 5 million degree showers might have more effect on insulin acceleration than normal people shower temps.

1 Like

So I wear my pump in the shower and can watch my number while I’m in. I also take showers that are ridiculously hot. The rest of my family draws back at the temperature, but for me that’s a sign it’s almost warm enough. Like Eric, I tend to shower right after a workout though, so I’ll have to take that into consideration…

1 Like

I joined FUD in April '18. Here we are in August. A lot has changed.

-Skin issues with adhesive have gone away, knock on wood. I’m not using Flonase under my pods anymore.
-Insulin pooling and site leaks have gone away, knock on wood. I had tried doing meal injections to take pressure off of each pod site and that helped for a while. Now I’m meal bolusing through my pods again. I do extend boluses over 4 units (which is pretty much all of them except for corrections) to a 30 minute extended bolus.
-I’m religious about tracking my pod rotation patterns to make sure every spot gets a minimum two month rest.
-I had started logging every little detail in April to get back on top of things. That helped a lot. Now I don’t feel the need to log everything so closely.
-I Basal Surf through medium-high hormone times.
-I’m back to religiously pre-bolusing. I had gotten away from long pre-bolus times while I had little kids because too many distractions inevitably happen every 2 minutes with babies and toddlers. Now that my kids are older, I’m doing what feels like eternal pre-bolusing. I need a 40 minute pre-bolus for breakfast. I’m still figuring out lunch/dinner but it seems to be in the 30 minute ballpark.
-I have to take enough meal insulin to result in a dip down the road so that I can feed the tail. If I’m not feeding the tail after most meals, I won’t get enough calories each day based on my meal sizes (which are pretty textbook).
-I have to ignore other people’s I:C ratios. I just seem to need way more bolus and way less basal than most people. It shouldn’t matter so long as my bg is working for me.

That’s pretty much it for now. Thanks for helping me along this ride!

8 Likes

I am so happy that you have found a good place after feeling out of control. Wow, and in such a short time! This site has meant so much to my family as we have been thrust into the diabetes world in a way no one wants to be. Thank you for sharing!

3 Likes

Testing out using slightly too much basal (+10%) has dropped my total daily dose by 8-10 units each day while making it a lot easier to consume enough calories each day. Pretty nice results when handled with care. I was using about 40 units per day, and am down to 30-32 units per day this week.

3 Likes

Found my endo’s starting instructions for podding. 14 units of Lantus equates to 20+ units of basal HOW?? Note that the patient started on .5 units per hour of her own planning against his advice…

IMG_9470

And also this…I saw this today…

IMG_9471

4 Likes

Your endo’s starting advice sound reasonable and cautious. Now that you have ignored all of that, he should know who he is dealing with. They always want you to start cautiously, and dial it down slowly.

I don’t understand. He gave me a basal plan with 154% of the Lantus that I had been taking. Why does that appear reasonable or cautious? Just curious of your thinking. His plan blows all of the pump starting rules of thumb (that I’m aware of) out of the water by a huge margin.

Ooops, I was tired and misread it. I thought you were taking 20 and he suggested 14. You are right, I am wrong…I am going to the blackboard now.

2 Likes

There’s this stupid rule that some doctors try to force of basal as 50% of your total daily dose (meaning bolus is the other 50%).

I wonder if he was trying to shift things back to 50/50. Not saying that was the right approach. I’m just trying to understand if there was some (any at all) logic behind increasing the basal by that much.

2 Likes