"New" to Omnipod and Pumping: 4 years in and I feel like I'm missing something

Interesting thing is that in the last month, Humalog has started dropping my blood sugar due to shower heat like Novolog did when I tried it a while back. I took my dinner shot at 6pm, showered at 8:15pm. I was surprised to see so much effect from it since it was a quick shower.

Does anyone else experience this to any significance? I’m okay w having to eat a Milano cookie every time I shower, but it’s interesting that this was never a noticeable factor until the last two months. I realize that heating up your skin is going to make leftover bolus get energized, but I’m more interested in if other FUDers keep an eye on IOB prior to showering.

Have you confirmed with your meter that you’re truly dropping? I have the opposite problem - Libre sometimes shows I’m spiking while showering, but it’s not accurate; meter confirmed it’s just the sensor going whacky from the heat.

1 Like

That’s a good thought, and I have. Been watching it very closely for the last few weeks and testing before and after shower to confirm.

Let me put another idea out for you. I am not saying this applies to you in every instance. Maybe it never applies to you. But it is a good example of thinking in different ways when we see things we don’t understand.

My BG is always on the downswing when I shower. Almost every time I shower, my BG drops! But I don’t attribute it to the type of insulin or the location of the pod, or IOB.

When do I shower? After I run. So of course that is a time it would drop. If I did not shower after I ran, my BG would still drop! But every run is followed by a shower, so I see it almost every time.

So of course, this might not work in your case as far as exercising and then showering, but it probably applies to a lot of people.

But in general, for things like this, it helps to apply the thoughts like “when do you shower?”, and see if it is something besides the shower that is causing it.

Maybe the shower is just at the same time as the reason that causes it, and the shower is just a confusing “extra”. Or maybe the shower affects your CGM more than your BG. Or your interstitial fluid. Or all kinds of other possibilities.

Anyway, it might not answer your particular case, but I think it is a good way of trying to troubleshoot things.

3 Likes

Maybe I’ll start showering after my work lunch in the executive suite at work to test out these theories. It could help my post-lunch numbers and make the work day a heck of a lot more interesting…until HR would counsel me about it… :joy:

My night routines are unchanged over the last few years thanks to having little kiddos…so I’m inclined to think that having removed a potential allergen from my diet (wine) has coincided with a few interesting recent developments. That’s a leap, but there’s a pattern and I can’t quite get a clear eye on causation.

1 Like

So I was sitting at a pool party today, and happened to meet a sales guy who works for an equity firm that just bought LifeScan (One Touch). We got into a discussion of One Touch products, why I used to use them, why I don’t now, what my insulin pump is, how it works, what I like about it, about how if One Touch was integrated into the pdm a lot of people would stick with One Touch, etc.

Then my pod died. Pod Scream of Death as we were discussing the pod. It took three tries to get the pdm to silence the scream.

What are the odds?

2 Likes

Pod scream of death upon priming tonight. At least it wasn’t already on my body when it died.

This is why I always carry two pods with me.

1 Like

Psssstt…@Nickyghaleb…you inspired me to start jogging again. I’ve been on a 9 year hiatus from my mediocre short-distance jogging. Just did a mile in three intervals and I was sure I was going to die. Don’t tell Eric. I can’t handle his training plans.

2 Likes

Mediocre short distance jogging is my FAVORITE. :two_hearts::two_hearts:

Awwwww, @T1Allison, you just made my day. :hugs: what fun it would be to run together and trash talk diabetes…

2 Likes

…as long as you’re carrying an oxygen tank for me so that I can actually have a conversation while jogging…

2 Likes

And a coffee IV for me so I can hold pace.

We could also just walk and enjoy the air.

2 Likes

And, by the way, you’d know better than me, but I think this is like beetlejuice. Say “I can’t” three times, and Eric will appear.

3 Likes

Hahahahahahahaha.

Nope. I won’t even try to talk anyone into it.

I am not a “Hang in there, Baby!” cat poster. If someone’s heart isn’t in it, I won’t spend my time on them.

You provide the motivation, I will help you with the rest.

2 Likes

Oh, good. I’m glad it was motivation I was showing and not desperation. :smiley: I just wrote you a book about today’s run… just a heads up.

2 Likes

Yeah, but your “help” takes many forms. Information. Education. Trolling. Tough Love. Just watching from the outside…

2 Likes

Not to let it get to anyone’s head, but I’ve had motivation for a long time. Now, and for now, I’ve got Eric. It’s been the difference between one mile and almost frickin 7 and the difference between general demoralization and glowing confidence. Motivation alone is nothing but a good intention. I said “glowing” for effect. It’s not all that, but I do have something going on for sure.

2 Likes

You’re hooked, you’re cooked,
You’re caught in the tender trap

1 Like

@Nickyghaleb…I jogged another mile again, in two intervals this time, and faster, and I didn’t think I was going to die as many times as I did last time.

2 Likes

You know, jogging on Lantus was like taking the entire Golden Corral with me on the treadmill. I was a mess of apples, lifesavers and Pop Tarts. A mess.

Now I have the ability to reduce basal to accommodate some legit exercise and that’s amazing. Just gonna have to figure out these levers. It’s already way better than jogging on Lantus…but I’m so low adverse as a mama that it’s going to take a bit to eek down to a nice range and nice pattern.

Thanks for the great info and examples, @Eric, @daisymae, and @Nickyghaleb. And for Pete’s sake, could you all slow down on @daisymae’s thread? I just got the posts remaining number under 1000 and that felt like a major accomplishment.

5 Likes