New To Dexcom G5; How Often Do You Need To Callibrate?

@Chris
I typically find most coincidences hard to believe.

76 FDA approved supplements to the original G4 PMA in Oct 2012. Could any of the supplements have had a minor impact so as to reduce the lifespan of the sensor while not reducing it so far as to fall afoul of the FDA approved 7 day sensor wear?

I would consider it a possibility but no idea as to the probability of such.

1 Like

i was hoping to get 2 weeks out of it like so many others i have read about.

I was just teasing you a little bit with that comment. There were times for me when the Dexcom started to get better and become more accurate and then it would fall off, and I kind of thought it was funny when it happened.

I donā€™t ever get 2 weeks out of a sensor.

1 Like

why are we all so dramatically different? i know YDMV, but REALLYā€¦

I have always wondered. I have read posting which seemed reliable that spoke of 45+ days.

There is speculation about the reasons for such a wide range of difference but I think nothing conclusive?

1 Like

its amazing, isnt it!!

I calibrated this morning! - The dex (xdrip) read 5.3 (95.4) and the meter read 5.2 (93.6) so I thought it was time for a calibration as I probably had not calibrated for a week. Sensor is on day 12.

I generally calibrate probably twice a day on day 1-3 of a sensor. After that, I usually just calibrate only when there is a significant deviation between the measured BG and the sensor

After the first few days, I generally only calibrate first thing in the morning. Usually my BG is flat for a while at this time so I am guaranteed that the sensor and my blood sugar are in sync and I will get an accurate calibration.

Here is this morning showing the flat-ish line before calibratingā€¦

For me the sensors fall off after 3-4 weeks. On average I pull them around 3 weeks. I find beyond three weeks I start to get some irritation around the sensor too and beyond about 4 weeks I start to see weird numbers from the dex.

1 Like

I just started day 17 on my sensor when I read your commentā€¦and 30 minutes later it started to tank! Just a coincidence, I know, butā€¦ :scream_cat::smile_cat:

4 Likes

Iā€™m using sensors that expired Mar 2018. On the last one now, all have lasted 2-3 weeks. Maybe my next one, not expired, from more recent batch will have shorter lifeā€¦ not good.

1 Like

Mine is the same way. I can get between 14 and 26 days on a single sensor, I think placement sometimes affects that. And I do the same thing. When my ā€œSignal Lossā€ error keeps showing up and itā€™s either in my pocket or on my desk or couch arm, itā€™s time to change it.

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m willing to go the G6 route until forced. Itā€™s my understanding that the sensors cannot be restarted like the G5s, and that they are only good for a week (or was it ten days?).

1 Like

G6 sensor is FDA approved and Dexcom intended for 10 days.
Didnā€™t take long for people to hack the process.
Directions for restart are available online.

We hope to be switched from the G5 to the G6 in a month.

i just want to put out there that i am LOVING my new Dexcom. i found a great sight on my upper left thigh and am having tremendous accuracy. its been a real help.

i am kind of ignoring the direction arrows b/c they seem to change from one direction to another from moment to moment, but if i look at the graph, i can get a really good idea of what direction i am going. and even if if lags for 15 minutes or so, its been spot on on many occasions.

YAY

DM

5 Likes

Good good good.

1 Like

BTW, i have often had to calibrate it twice a day, but not always. sometimes, i think,ifi am dropping or rising very fast, it doesnt have time to sync. not certain about that though.

Itā€™s best to calibrate only when the graph is relatively flat and has been for a good hour, so the glucose in the blood and in the interstitial fluid have had time to settle at the same level.

2 Likes

thx for that. i think you have suggested this to me before, and i have been following your advice ever since. the mornings are best for me to calibrate, b/c i am most flat and consistent; yet sometimes i find a really wonky reading and have to wait for the dex to level off.

I also ignore the arrows. I like the Dexcom. But the algorithm they use to pick which arrow to display. Well. Nothing is perfect. I think that part of the algorithm is stupid. ha ha ha

I find eyeballing the graph is far superior to whatever the arrow seems to indicate.

3 Likes

I agreeā€”I find that I can get a horizontal arrow when my blood sugar is trending slowly but significantly downward, heading into a low. Also I can get a double arrow up right as itā€™s clearly about to level off after a brief spike up, such as when Iā€™ve just treated a low. Eyeballing the graph is usually superior to the arrow.

1 Like