New insurance is sending me back to MDI after 5yrs on Omnipod

How are you doing @Necroplasm ?

I got knowcked off Omnipod 5 at the beginning of the year. The pharmacy software was broken. Then the pumps were recalled.

I’m doing great on syringe insulin.

2 Likes

Are things OK?

No, honestly the omnipod 5 is pretty ineffective in auto mode for me. I wouldn’t pay much extra for it… for me the algorithm is extremely effective at preventing lows but almost worthless for keeping me in range without going high

I’m hoping the new update will be better… time will tell

2 Likes

@Sam Your comment seems in-line with many. Seems the medical community in general would rather have T1s (not sure about T2s) run higher than planned/aimed for as long as lows are eliminated or kept to a minimum. I think that’s a primary reason I chose to go the DIY route, though its more work initially, it seems worth it to have a higher TIR and TITR. That said I only used Dash pods and their app prior to my decision. I think it also has to do with other factors too though: TDD, pre-bolus needs for meals, other diseases impacting the path. I know others here have tried multiple platforms and probably have more to offer.

1 Like

In which case, it’s up to users to learn how to adjust their settings to reduce the highs but also not go low. I’ve found this far easier on the Omnipod 5 than on the previous Omnipod with its fixed basals. (Aside: I’m what they used to call a brittle diabetic. I.e., near impossible to get good control. I eat different amounts daily, I eat a wide variety of foods, and I have different activity levels at different times. In other words, I’m a normal person. But non-algorithmic pumps with fixed basals assume a level of consistency in everyday life.)

On some other forums, a lot of people complain about being high on the O5 but don’t seem to realize they’re allowed to manually bolus corrections. Or they’re astonished to find out they can adjust their targets, or they don’t understand how to adjust I:C ratios. (I often wonder if these are the same people who posted “Is it OK to skip my training?”) Or they say “I don’t have an endo appointment for six months,” as if only God Endo or Congress can change their settings.

It can take time, and it takes effort. I found O5 mega-super-frustrating for a few months, then plain frustrating for a few more, and then gradually, with a tweak here and a tweak there, things pretty much fell into place, and now I love it – though I agree the algo could be improved. But people who love something don’t usually get online just to say so.

3 Likes

@Beacher On the one hand, I realize I was once new, listened a lot, asked many questions, and appreciated the answers; on the other hand, it’s amazing folks that have been using pumps and CGMs for years and don’t realize capabilities other’s consider pretty basic. It may be a good sign that the variety of pumps, cgm’s, and treatments has grown! Of course, now that I’ve said that, I’ll come up with my own “pretty basic” question! That said, I’m not waiting ‘til my next Endo appt to adjust my own ICR…something like SMB’s perhaps, but I know more about my AID system than my Endo does! I smiled at your comment about “skipping training!” It’s kind of like Claymore mines being printed with “This side toward enemy!” :upside_down_face:

Seriously folks, while @Beacher and I are smiling, whether you’re an old hand or new at being T1, T2, T?, or just changing what you’re using: PLEASE read the docs, PLEASE talk with your doc/NP/CDE, PLEASE don’t skip the training, and PLEASE ask any question you have here or on other sites! Even if your question is old hat to some, the review reminds the old hands what’s what, for some old hands it will be “new” info, and some newly dx’d person will benefit from the answer(s) to your questions! Just remember none of us are docs, you may get surprisingly different guidance from different people with different experiences (i.e. you decide), and what worked for others may or may not work for you (i.e. YDMV!). Just remember, change one thing a little bit, test it, and change some more if needed; its the only way you’ll know what worked!

4 Likes

Welcome back! Sorry you’re having to deal with the insurance mess. Hopefully the switch back to pens goes smoothly for you. Wishing you the best, and I hope you get some helpful advice from everyone here!

1 Like