New Here - OmniPod Training Experiences

I take N at breakfast and before bed, dosage is pretty consistent and really only varies with my weight.

I determine my humalog dosages based on experience with the food I’m eating and my sugar levels before the meal. I don’t have a carb ratio calculated but I do know generally what different foods will do to my sugar.

Hi everyone, after much digging into calculation of basal rates, IC ratios and the information in this post I decided to take the plunge on Sunday and make the switch. Had some ups and downs that day as you might imagine but yesterday, my second day on the pump was the first day since I’ve had the libre where I spent most of the day in my green zone. Needless to say I’m quite happy.

I had heard that with the pump you use less insulin typically but I’m still shocked by how much less, I’m around 2/3 of what I was taking with injections. My basal rate dropped the most, by about 50%. I had suspected my basal rate was too high on injections and i guess that proves it.

I’m wearing it on my right arm and that seems to be working so far (only caught it on something once - that hurts!) although I think I’ll move it to my left arm as I have some softball games coming up and I’m not sure what the repeating throwing motion will do to the pod.

Being the rule follower I am I do feel a bit off by having gone rogue but I don’t regret it.

I got a call today booking my appointment with the diabetes education centre for July 3, hopefully they’re not too annoyed with me for going out on my own!

Thanks for all of the info and support in this thread.

4 Likes

Glad you found a solution that works for you. If you are really worried about it, you can always switch back to shots for the appointment and then start your next Omnipod after the appointment. I personally don’t think there should be any penalty, a diabetic that takes control of their disease is a good thing, and while an insulin delivering device is inherently dangerous and an uneducated user doubly so, you sound like you did your research and learning prior to starting, so you just have the normal risk that a pump poses.

I think you will find that you non-throwing arm is best for softball games, my son spectacularly threw his G6 sensor off his throwing arm in a throw down to second base.

2 Likes

If you keep hanging around here, you will find lots of rule breakers!

Sounds like you’re off to a great start.

3 Likes

In my experience that kind of motion is unlikely to dislodge the pod; the adhesive is, well, pretty adhesive. But I’m prone to tunneling, and I’ve discovered that certain vigorous motions such as scrubbing a pot, washing a window, or shaking out the duvet can bring on the tunneling/leaking faster, likely because of the friction of cannula against surrounding tissue. So if I’m wearing my pod on my arm, I have to be a little more conscious of what I’m doing with that arm. Only experience will tell you what you can get away with.

Thanks, yeah I’m more worried about the cannula coming out/leaking rather than the entire thing coming off. I removed my first one yesterday and wow, it was definitely stuck on there. I may end up putting them on my stomach for the summer (aka golf/softball season) as they do tend to wiggle around on the backs of my arms even when I’m brushing my teeth etc. Haven’t had any leaks so far but I’m keeping an eye out for them.