Nausea and Vomiting with Severe Hypoglycemia?

Thank you for your kind response to which I will respond after some clarification…

You aren’t … THE Mattie… from the Honest Exchange, are you?? By any chance?

If I’m wrong, I apologize…

1 Like

Just a data point:. Mild nausea is a symptom of low BG I’ve noted in the past year or so. That’s a new one for me.

1 Like

Interesting… it’s new for me as well. I was wondering if it didn’t have to do with the fact I’ve gotten more aggressive with insulin… maybe I’m having harder drops. If that makes sense.

1 Like

Oh yes, it’s me.

1 Like

Mattie. :hugs::hugs: Hi, hello, and welcome. :hugs::hugs:

And thank you for that info. I’ve never had problems with nausea outside of pregnancy, and it’s a real downer. :grin: But it happened again last night—just the nausea part, not the rest of the scene— so I guess it’s all mine for now.

I’ll look into some pomegranate juice. I’ve never tried it, but if a couple of sips is all it takes, I could certainly give it a try. I’m also going to look into some glucose gel and liquid glucose… which make pomegranate juice sound delicious. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey you! I’ve been lurking here, just like I do on your page!

Well, that nauseous feeling and breaking out in a sweat are my warning signs! So yeah! You have another indicator that your sugar is dropping like a stone! Those quick drops are the hardest. Then my tongue and lips get numb and my eye sight goes wonky. Straws :grimacing::heart:

1 Like

Pom juice is tart but very healthy (for your heart too) I have read. I have such good feelings about you and your ability to cope and survive! Your humor is a treat! I am more about sarcasm I fear. :flushed::zipper_mouth_face:

Definitely! Before all this pump stuff learning, I did not know how sensitive I am to insulin and how totally wrong my settings have been. Still working on that. CR 1:50. ISF 1:20 I use 15 units a day total. I was always low, which is why I got this pump in the first place. But in reality, if I had gotten some help adjusting basal etc. I would have been better long ago. Lows from too much insulin, arghhh. My endo sucks. I go tomorrow to put him on the spot, right…like that will help anything. Dr Road Show time. I hATE Dr. You are on top of this Nicky!

JUST out of curiosity, do you see black geometric shapes?? I once made a comment about seeing black squares, most annoying thing in the world, and someone commented that they see black circles. The idea we see different shapes amuses me. :smiley:

You just don’t know me well enough. :smiley:

I live for sarcasm. It just doesn’t translate as well… it’s also why i cover everything with smiley faces… so people know i’m joking. I’m NOT actually that happy. :smiley:

Wow! Really??

Why? I’ve had really just one endo who was AWFUL. Most of mine have just been bordering on kind of useless. Nice enough, but useless. What does your endo say about how you’re doing now??

I think everything has been said in this thread, really glad everything worked out. I would think you would want you spouse trained and available for sick day protocol, and of course for the emergency low like happened the other night.

If you are looking for a checklist of training I would think it would be something like this:

• Administration of full glucagon for an unconcious diabetic
  • Administration of mini-glucagon for sick day protocol i.e. can’t keep anything down and are continuing to puke, have ketones and need to administer insulin to deal with the ketones
  • Role of increased basal when sick, enough knowledge to ask you about it when you are feeling crappy
  • Ability to calculate the increase in bolus insulin required when ketones are present, to remind you to keep the insulin going
    How to test for ketones, meter or strips.
    How to perform a blood sugar measurement while you are asleep, i.e. keep you sleeping so you heal, but monitor the situation to make sure you are safe.

Knowledge of how they can make things easier for you when you are sick.

4 Likes

I like Jen’s idea of keeping two syringes right with the Glucagon. Nice to have them right there if you decide that is the appropriate route for the situation.

Once you get the Glucagon kit, take a look at the instructions included within. For real. Now imagine the situation you described. Not very realistic.

I keep a folded printed copy of two PDF printouts with one of our Glucagon kits. IMHO the PDFs from the BC Children’s Hospital are great.

http://www.bcchildrens.ca/endocrinology-diabetes-site/documents/minigluc.pdf

http://www.bcchildrens.ca/endocrinology-diabetes-site/documents/glucagon.pdf

We did a test with the Glucagon using one of my other [adult] relatives as the guinea pig. Used a typical insulin syringe and from my point of view it felt the same as administering insulin. We used 15 units of glucagon which caused a fairly rapid rise in BG of about 75 points.

4 Likes

If you can believe it, we’ve never had a reason until now.

This is VERY helpful. I’ll sit down with everyone this weekend and look this over. Thank you very much!

1 Like

I like the idea, too, and completely forgot to ask something… @Jen, how long are 2 small syringes good once they’ve been made?? They expire soon after being prepared, no?

Also, how often do you refill your glucagon prescription? Exactly how much glucagon should we aim toward keeping in the house? I currently have one unexpired and two expired, but I haven’t picked up a prescription in ages… [quote=“Thomas, post:51, topic:4654”]
I keep a folded printed copy of two PDF printouts with one of our Glucagon kits. IMHO the PDFs from the BC Children’s Hospital are great.
[/quote]

This is also very helpful. I’ll include this in the family meeting.

You’ve got amazing adult relatives. :grin:

More great info. I’ve never even looked st my kits and really had no idea what they do. Thank you for numbers…

I just put two empty syringes in, lying alongside either side of the big needle. I think if you did this, it would be very important to make sure your family understood the use, since three needles could get confusing. You wouldn’t want them trying to draw up with a small syringe without first mixing the glucagon with the solution from the large syringe.

I’ve never used mini-dose glucagon, so I don’t know how long it lasts. I’ve heard anywhere from 24 hours to a few days, once mixed. I keep meaning to try it the next time I have an extended overnight low, but in the moment of those lows I never remember.

3 Likes

I have two glucagon kits in the house. My endo gives a prescription for like six a year, so I could get more, if I wanted to. I think I also gave my parents one as I stay over at their place sometimes.

Expired kits might be good to put in an earthquake or other disaster kit for a year or so (I do this with expired epipens). After that, I have used them to train friends and family members in how to use them.

2 Likes

Hey well you’re right about my Endo. He is actually a very nice man. He was encouraging about how things look even though I was not. He now has a machine that tests your A-1 C in the office. Mine went from 7.2 to 6.9. So even with all of the bad numbers the A1 C is better, crazy. I don’t know how to separate out my comments in the cool person way. So sorry it’s just a run on blog.

The eye thing. Well, I get tunnel vision. And flashing. :grimacing::woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Me, too: serious visual distortions. Ugh! Thank goodness, I haven’t had a low like that in a while and paws crossed I don’t!

2 Likes

Hooves crossed? :grimacing::v:

3 Likes

Like this? It only took me about a month to learn. :grin: turns out it wasn’t that tricky though… highlight and hit it where you see “quote”. Or just do a run on blog. :smile:

That’s great to hear about your appointment. Did I say something that was pro-doctor??? I don’t usually do that… I wonder how one slipped through. Either way, I’m glad to hear he was nice and reasonable, and I’m especially glad to hear about your a1c. :grin:

So this is an update to no one in particular, but this happened again last night. A touch less dramatic, but just as scary. 3 am. Another very fast drop. The thing I think both nights had in common was that I used an extended bolus on top of a regular bolus.

Tonight, no extended bolus for me.

3 Likes