My Mom’s Making me Post: Does anyone know of any good tofu recipes to make tofu not taste like tofu?

Best of luck! I really hope you end up with something that doesn’t make you feel sick, cooking (with or without tofu) really isn’t as tricky as it seems :wink:

1 Like

Says someone who can cook. :smiley:

1 Like

5 ingredients. The law of small numbers. We’ll start here. :smiley:

1 Like

Cooking is a lot like diabetes management, except much lower stakes. You can read all about the cool stuff other people are doing, try to learn the best combinations and tricks from them. Your ingredients and cooking equipment might be a little different then theirs, which means some things can vary. You get in there yourself and try it, and you may or may not totally succeed the first try. You learn from successes and mistakes and get better as you continue experimenting.

So basically the same thing, except mistakes only mean your dinner doesn’t taste as great as it could have :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Only recently have I stopped sucking at being a diabetic… so I’m just learning it on that end, too. :smiley:

I love it. I’ll take it all into tomorrow and probably blow my diabetes management and cook up something super nasty with my mom…

And then will try again. :rose:

1 Like

So we do love some tofu at our house, with a 14 yo kid who’s vegetarian, has diabetes and is a year-round athlete, it’s kind of a staple.

We get extra-firm, press it (meaning, put it on/in a towel and squish til some of the remaining water comes out), cut in cubes, toss it in cornstarch, and pan fry it in canola oil. You do have to flip it over in the middle to get brown on both sides which is a pain in the tail when cooking for seven tofu-lovers. Salt it when it comes out.

My husband and I like it tossed with veggies and a sauce but the kids just eat it like chicken nuggets. They fight over it, and we are NOT one of those families that says things like “oh yes, all our children just LOVE our cauliflower soup recipe”. (in fact, the cauliflower soup though actually yummy is roundly villified)

Word of warning, it tends to cause a slow rise in blood sugar overnight that can get pretty fierce if my son eats it for dinner and we forget to do an extended bolus for about 1/3 of the protein grams. But this is with him eating something like an entire block by himself. So might not be a concern if you were using it like a regular human!

3 Likes

My kids haven’t seen a chicken nugget in almost 2 years… maybe we can trick them. And I’m acting like they’re the ones that need to be tricked… :smile:

Maybe this is a good starter recipe for my mom. It sounds like there’s not too much room for error, and it’ll be interesting to see what my blood sugar does with it!

I make it the exact same way sometimes - with corn starch, pan fried - and I’d agree it’s a good starter method. The corn starch will get it crispier than frying it up by itself, which helps the texture. Good luck!

1 Like

olive oil in a pan with seared garlic and a dash of soy sauce and grill the living Sh*t out of it. also rather yummy deep fried at japanese restarants in a dish called Age Dashi Tofu.

1 Like

With extra firm tofu we cut it into thick slices and marinade it. We use tamari/ bragg and hot chili sauce then bake/broil. Also like others stir fry’s are good. I also really like to mix soft tofu avocado and miso in a big bowl for lunch!

FYI… I made the tofu and veggies with ginger soy glaze from this post today, served over instant brown rice and it was pretty good!