Multiple Autoimmune Syndrome (MAS)

The co-occurrence of autoimmune diseases has been epidemiologically studied and has aided in our understanding of autoimmunity. The combination of at least three autoimmune diseases in the same patient has defined as multiple autoimmune syndrome (MAS). About 25 percent of patients with autoimmune diseases have a tendency to develop additional autoimmune diseases. MAS is recognized with increasing frequency. Several associations have been proposed as a form of MAS…

Continue reading >> Multiple autoimmune syndrome - PMC

1 Like

Thank you for posting this. It was a very interesting read for me.

I have 4 autoimmune diseases: the first one I developed was Vitiligo; then Pernicious Anemia, autoimmune Thyroid disease, and the now Type 1 Diabetes.

2 Likes

Sometimes, when it rains, it really does pour, doesn’t it? You might also find this video informative.

2 Likes

I have the same ones as you, Millz. Plus, celiac, x 20 years, and, more recently, polymyalgia rheumatica. Hope you can hold steady at 4. Very grateful for my Dexcom and pump to help with dealing with the prednisone I’m taking (hopefully temporarily) for the polymyalgia rheumatica. Reading that article made me nervous.

1 Like

@PegE, welcome to the forum! LOVE your icon pics, they are great!

Sorry to hear about your autoimmune diseases :frowning: Really too bad about the prednisone, always difficult to deal with that. I look forward to reading your posts!

Btw, not sure if you know, but we have quite a few members from AK!

Interesting. Thanks for posting the link.

1 Like

PegE, Welcome!

Amazing what an online community like this can do. I’ve not “met” anyone else the same autoimmune diseases. What order were yours diagnosed?

1 Like

Thanks, Millz. Order of diagnosis: vitiligo age 9, T1 age 20, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis age 20, Celiac age 40ish, Pernicious anemia, 45-50?, Polymyalgia rheumatica age 57. Sigh.

1 Like

Thanks Michel. Lucky me, I know Sam. Not the others from AK. yet. Those are my beloved grandboys in my profile pic.

1 Like

Lucky, really? :slight_smile:

These are absolutely awesome grandboys to be very proud of!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Pianoplayer7008, hope this thread (and certainly the contributing members on it) can be helpful. Perhaps you’ve already seen it.

1 Like

i never knew that there was a syndrome to begin with. I have Graves Disease for which i had to be on endless medications and have radiation for. also, i was on Prednisone and it really F-ed with my BGs in the most terrible way. it stinks. but the radiation and acupuncture helped and i have been in my second remission over a 30 year period. yahoo. :smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone with Vitiligo tired light therapy? Did you have to detach your pump? I have forever been overly nervous about eyes, but the doctor says it is safe as long as I’m wearing the goggles that they provide.