Mom to tween T1D daughter

I’d just like to second that. I was trying to get at that but was more just kind of stumbling around. :smiley: I didn’t have to do adolescence with this disease, but I can tell you in my own very long and drawn out transition that just limiting myself didn’t work. @Katers87, in my opinion, your parents were brave because there’s “textbook right” and then there’s life, and so much of life is learning, taking chances, adjusting, and starting again. In my case at least. Some of you might have a shorter route. :smiley:

@sahmcolorado, I think submerging yourself in the kind of discussion that takes place around here is as close to a “solution” as one might find with diabetes. I haven’t found one answer here, I’ve found a thousand. It’s the fountain of youth. It’s learning that a 500 isn’t the end of the road, it’s just reason to find a new path. So hokey. I know it is, but all of those negative feelings that we drag around, the shame, guilt, disappointment, whatever, they don’t leave us feeling like we want to test. When we’re buried under them, they serve as judgment, but when we get out from underneath, they become necessary clues.

Maybe you know all of these things, and maybe you don’t. I’m just now learning how not to allow fear to influence my daily maintenance as it truly is an impediment. And seeing people handle their own highs and lows is to give it some normalcy…

No one invited me back, but I came back with an even longer piece of unsolicited advice. :smiley:

5 Likes

Thank you. It’s very sweet of you to say so.

1 Like

I know that this is right. Our son is gifted and has sensory and social/emotional challenges. We have made it a priority to get him to a counselor who specializes in working with boys. It’s a really far drive and quite expensive, but it has been worth it.

1 Like

Thank you for all the ideas.

1 Like

:rofl: Too funny

1 Like

Ha ha ha. I appreciate everything you said and I understand where you are coming from. :+1:

1 Like

This is a fabulous idea. I will definitely share those with her.

This is exactly what we do. :slight_smile: The only things we ask are that she skip sugary drinks if she’s already high and that she pre-bolus for cold cereal.

1 Like

Yes, I’m totally on board with this. In fact, I think this is why I’m so bothered by this. I would rather she be successful in managing herself because I don’t want to take away that control.

3 Likes

You are right, and it helps me to remember that.

1 Like

It’s an open invitation!

2 Likes

Have you communicated with the chaperone/guide?

2 Likes

No, I haven’t. I used to always talk to an adult for any activity she did, but I’ve totally forgotten about doing that. Thank you for the reminder!

It’s arranged through the town rec department but guided by a private river rafting company. It would probably make sense to touch base with the rec department so that at least an adult is aware.

I described it as a 1-day trip, but it’s probably only about 45 min on the river. They leave on a bus from our rec center, drive to the place, then the rafting company will drive them up the canyon, they’ll put in the rafts, ride down and then get picked up and ride back. The whole thing goes from 7:30 am to 1:00 pm, but most of it is riding on a bus.

I could drive out to the location if it would make sense for me to be there, but she may prefer to just have an adventure without mom lurking around. Lol.

Probably stuff you and her already know, but remind her to cut basal for the paddling part.

These packs are a quick carb source, small and easy to pack, and waterproof.

4 Likes

And maybe you could talk to her about the options as you see them… driving out there or letting her go on her own. Use this as incentive… “if I know you are able to test X amount of times” or “before entering the raft, can feel comfortable letting you go on the adventure without me”… Something very reasonable. Of course the big one being right before she gets on the raft. AND maybe this is something you could mention to the adult. I’m not so sure that asking them to make sure she tests prior to starting is outside of the range of normal expectations considering she is a child. Maybe I’m wrong. I’ve been that before. :grin: she also might not have any problems at all testing if another adult reminds her. I hate to say it, but a big part of that push back might be when it comes from you. And, again, I might be wrong.

2 Likes

Quick Question -

What happens when your daughter makes the plan for how she is going to handle an event?

What happens at the debrief when she hasn’t lived up to her plan?

1 Like

My mom lives next to me and does drive-by swipes with my Libre. It’s like a gun draw trying to beat her to the reader. Its just straight boundary-violating. :grin:

I’m not too old to feel like it’s nagging, I’m just able to appreciate it from the bottom of my heart. :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Imagine if you were sharing Dexcom data with her on the phone!
:open_mouth:

1 Like

She’d need anti-anxiety meds.

4 Likes

Thank you, Eric. I’ll see if she wants to try those.

1 Like