MODY3 - anyone else?

Very short recap, I was diagnosed a T1 diabetic 17 years ago at the age of 29 after a years of health struggles and not knowing why. My endocrinologist has tried to get me to really get serious about carb counting because my honeymoon phase will end at some point. This led me to question a 17 year honeymoon phase. This led to antibody testing, c-peptide testing and eventually genetic testing. The potential diagnosis now is MODY3, however the genetic mutation that I have is different then what normally presents. In the literature she found (?) there are a total of 5 of us. 1 is treating for diabetes, 3 are healthy and I’m to be determined.

I went off insulin injections 10/1 and starting taking Glipizide on 10/2 (oral medication). I take 1-3 pills a day and not sure what (if anything) the pills are doing or if my body is somehow regulating itself. I have no idea… the plus side is my sugars rarely go above 150. I know much of this is due to how I eat and my activity level.

Post people diagnosed any of the MODY options (I think there are like 10 of them!) - are misdiagnosed at first - usually, like me, as a T1.

Are there any other folks MODY3 or any MODY here? I need to find a doctor that is very knowledgeable in this and willing to educate me as well as be open to things NOT documented in medical literature. A progressive doctor. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading… x

7 Likes

Wow, that’s such an amazing story @Bridgette! I am so glad you got an accurate diagnosis, and I hope your new diagnosis makes managing life much easier.
Unfortunately I don’t know anyone with MODY3. It’s amazing what we can find out now with genetic testing; likely many thousands of rare genetic mutations, with unknown significance.
Hopefully you’re able to find others who share your experience.

6 Likes

I am not sure if there are any others here, but if so, hopefully they will see your post and reply. I am just the old-fashioned T1 myself.

But regardless, welcome to FUD!

3 Likes

Here’s an older blog, mentions MODY3.

5 Likes

Hi @Bridgette - There are any number of MODY3’s on Instagram, simply search IG for MODY or MODY3 :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi! My doctors think I have MODY as well. However testing where I’m at is thousands of dollars and isn’t able to be done. I was diagnosed at the age of 17 and have yet to exit my ‘honeymoon’ period. It’s super frustrating not really knowing what’s going on with me, and I hope to eventually get testing done like you did!