Mobi vs Omnipod 5 on Medicare

I’ve been using Omnipod 5 for a while and am now considering a switch to Tandem Mobi. Overall I am still pretty happy with the Om5. I have it working for me, my most recent A1c was 6.0 which is right where I feel like I should be. Time in range is adequate but not as high as my inner ambitious self says would be achievable in an ideal pump algorithm scenario.

The pro/cons I’ve already considered are:

(1) Tubed vs tubeless: I think the better infusion sets with a tubed pump would be a good change for me, and the mini tube option with Mobi seems like it will be OK once I get used to it. Verdict: Neutral

(2) The medicare issue: Omnipod (and its insulin) is only covered via Part D which means a copay of over $200 per month for me. A tubed pump and its insulin would hopefully be entirely Part B which I have a good supplement for, bringing the copay to zero. Verdict: Pro Mobi

(3) No pdm with Mobi: I prefer having a stand alone controller as Om 5 is set up, but figure all the pumps will be going away from this sooner or later. Might as well take the leap to being 100% phone dependent. Verdict: Con Mobi

Any ideas from my FuD friends? I am wondering about the Tandem algorithm and how it compares to Omnipod 5. That is probably the most important comparison and I don’t know much about it. Thank you!

4 Likes