Mini-dose glucagon study

@Boerenkool Hadn’t heard of the Inreda system. Don’t understand the second sensor use if everything is based on glucose level, but I don’t speak Dutch either.

2 Likes

?? I thought it uses 1 sensor but 2 infusion sets. One set for insulin, the other for glucagon.

2 Likes

They think using one sensor for making automated dosing decisions is unsafe, because sensors can be faulty. Therefore they use a second sensor to compare the readings and probably alert the user when the readings differ too much.

3 Likes

@bkh The video shows two infusion sets and two sensors, seemed odd, but that’s what is shown. Only thing I can think of is one as a back up or the two report and an average is taken for better accuracy?

3 Likes

I could see the sense of this if the two sensors are not started at the same time, like 5 days apart if the sensors have a 10-day lifespan, and the recently-started sensor was underweighted in the average.

1 Like

Boeing learned the problem of relying on a single angle-of-attack sensor to fly their 737MAX. Redundancy is always a good thing when making important decisions. The challenge, of course, is making a reliable two component pump that doesn’t cost as much as a Boeing jet. The insulin/glucagon pump already needs two reservoirs and two pump channels … so maybe adding a second sensor isn’t that unreasonable

I still predict that many of us will have access to insulin/glucagon pumps within the next 5-10 years. I can’t wait …

John.

2 Likes

I agree.

1 Like