Meters... pictures worth 1000 words

As I said, it must be your blood…

Clearly… but that definitely shows that studies of meters conducted in laboratories are pretty useless when applied to a real persons blood in the real world

1 Like

How is that?

Because real peoples blood in the real world doesn’t respond like control solution in a laboratory… it’s different from one person to the next and that affects the chemical reaction on strips

True. I find discussions about meter accuracy to be a bit disheartening because I’m basing all my D actions off these machines, and I can’t be sure that they’re even accurate.

Oh well! What can you do?

1 Like

We all base our decision off of technology that is quite variable. It is certainly not perfect, but it is at least better than not testing and just live in the high zone all day. Certainly, if you meter is off and you dose and end up low, the meter reading could have contributed to your over-dosing as well as the many other factors and variables.

1 Like

I’m definitely not advocating for not using a meter! I’m glad we have them. Doesn’t mean I can’t wish that my readings were always accurate :slight_smile:

@Sam, I thought the True2Go meters were discontinued in the US after Trividia bought Nipro? There was definitely a recall on the meters in 2016 …

2016 True2Go recall notice

1 Like

They were, which is a damn shame… but I had a ton of strips left over. I purchased the true metrix meter and tested it out… they wanted you to send in your true test strips to swap them out for true metrix—- yeah, no thanks…

There’s a reason why old stock true test strips are skyrocketing in price on eBay now… because people love them and the new ones aren’t as good

100 true test strips (old stock) now selling for around $45 on eBay… before they were around $45 for 300… same price as their true metrix replacements—- that’s the fair market value for quality strips outside of the insurance racket…

@Sam They were super convenient and inexpensive. I had 4 or 5 at one time and left them everywhere so I would always have one on hand. I agree the Trividia branded meter is not as good.

2 Likes

When Sinocare (China, now 6th largest BG mfr) bought Nipro Diagnostics (renamed to Trividia after acquisition) I switched meters. I went with a meter mfr that had been around for a while to let the dust settle before I tried their new meters. I can say that at this time I am not a fan. I would trust the Relion Prime meter first. Just my 2 cents…

2 Likes

That’s good to know… I haven’t tried the prime. I wish they made it in a compact meter.

1 Like

We have several ReliOn Prime meters as backups. They are fairly small and convenient, although not as small as the True 2go. But we find the Verios to be a bit better.

The Freedom Lite are about as big and much more reliable, from first hand knowledge. So are the Contour, I hear, and the Contour strips are barely more expensive.

The Contour and Freestyle meters are my current meters (now that I have insurance again). The Walmart meters were one of the few affordable meters without health insurance. I used to buy strips for other brands on Amazon, Craigslist, over-seas, anything to save $$ to pay for things, but in the end the Walmart meter became my go to meter due to convenience. I was also purchasing all my insulin there with no Rx, so it just became one less stop. The Walmart meters are huge, ugly, and funky to use, but they work and I am alive. Weirdly enough, they have (or had) 3 different types (Prime/ Confirm/ Ultima), all made by different manufacturers.

5 Likes

I’d love to see you make some topics about how to manage on a super strict budget win R and NPH and buying your own strips…

2 Likes

I’d say to ask the dog. He probably knows better.

2 Likes

I would assume (probably incorrectly) that most PWDs are resource scroungers. I definitely am. My monthly costs were < $200/month back then, and I scrounged for every penny of it. Now there are some fantastic off insurance deals, like the One Drop meter Premium plan. That with Walmart insulin, I no longer fear the what-ifs of health insurance in America.

4 Likes

I second Sam’s suggestion. I’ve always had insurance (lucky lucky). I wouldn’t even know where to start if I suddenly lost access. You sound like a wealth of knowledge.

It’d be comforting for me to know about the options out there in case I lost insurance, and what better way to gain that knowledge than from someone who has used them! I bet lots of people here would love a post like that.

2 Likes

Do you still buy True 2go strips? $45 is quite expensive.

I haven’t in a while but I still have probably 1,000 or so…

I’ve been using one touch verio and true metrix lately, neither one of which I like near as much… I still pay cash for the metrix when my insurance costs me essentially nothing for unlimited verio, so that tells you something…

1 Like