Mental, emotional, and nutritional challenges of eating with diabetes

I like not being in the germ haze during flu season with all the sick people at the pharmacy counter! Love the drive thru!

This has got to be the weirdest:

3 Likes

Ok, now that’s bad…

1 Like

There are drive-thru wedding chapels, too!

1 Like

And, from an era before everyone was obese…drive in movie theaters! One still exists 45 miles from me. OK, it’s really not the same thing as what you’re discussing…

How about drive up convenience stores, which sell candy bars, smokes, milk, beer, and liquor thru the window? -As American as Chevrolet. Several exist in my town. Paradoxically, however, they don’t pump your gas as they once did. I suppose that is about labor savings. Maybe if they could get a robot to pump gas??

3 Likes

They’ll sometimes do that later at night for the safety of the lone pharmacy worker.

Take care of yourself and also take the medicines on time.

2 Likes

i no longer feel alone in this areana. ah, the curse of the perfectionist :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I’ve thought a lot about this. In the beginning, I felt really sad about not being able to enjoy food in the same way that I used to. For me, this enjoyment would frequently mean an overindulgence, and that just wan’t possible anymore if I wanted to keep my blood sugar in check. While dealing with emotions after diagnosis, I realized that I had never been totally free to eat whatever I wanted in any quantity without repercussions. Being diagnosed with diabetes just expanded an already existing list of consequences of eating. My eating habits are more restrained now, but that’s something that I should have done years ago.
This kind of thinking has helped me find acceptance.

10 Likes

Over the years I have certainly changed my attitude about food. Now it seems I eat mostly because I have to, and I stick to a very consistent schedule probably from all the years of NPH where I had to eat on time. Now I eat basically the same thing for breakfast and the same thing for lunch every day. Makes it easier to keep consistent BG values. Does get boring sometimes, but works for me. I recently retired and when I was working and commuting 2 hours per day, a simple consistent eating plan was about all I had time for. Maybe now I can change things up some. :wink:

8 Likes

Supersize! It is alarming and I don’t understand why certain items come in such big servings or portions.

1 Like

There are many terrific topics in this post. As I read them, I was nodding my head, in agreement. I felt the same emotions as many of those who posted. My food choices pre diabetic may not have been nutritionally the “best” (milky way, donuts, Milano cookies for snacks), after D, I felt an immense loss of spontaneity and carefreeness. I learned to eat more nutritious foods. And yet- I can’t have an apple or a pear without prebolusing and counting carbs!! Yup, I can relate to much that were discussed in this post. Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

I struggle with this ^ too. Most of the time, I eat nutritious meals/foods. I have my weaknesses…it feels like once I have a small serving of ice cream, I go for a little more, and then a little more… Before you know it I ate a lot more than I intended. Homemade unsweetened whipped cream is more satisfying, and “filling” . For reasons unclear to me, I can eat a certain amount whipped cream with some berries and stop. It’s possible that the added sugar in ice cream and other foods can cause cravings.

2 Likes

I have a friend on a weird diet and the diet plan involves one cheat day a week. She knows what day it is and only does so on this day. I think her diet sounds super restrictive, but the idea of setting aside one day a week where you just eat what you want without considering its impact on your overall diet seems reasonable to me.

4 Likes

Today, I decided to have 2 Haagen Daz chocolate chocolate popsicle ice creams :yum:. I was pleasantly surprised that each one was only 22 g carbs. According to Carb Manager, a cup of Haagen Daz chocolate ice cream has 42 g carbs. <- this surprised me. For some reason, I thought that perhaps 1 ice cream popsicle would be pretty similar to a cup of ice cream. Go figure. I guess apps like Carb Manager is quite useful, informative and helpful. I highly recommend it, especially if you’re new to carb counting, or are quite clueless, like me :grinning:or trying to get a better sense of carbohydrate distributions of all the foods I eat in a day. For meals that I don’t have a lot of starch (like pasta or bread), I noticed that a lot of my carbs are from fruits (grapefruits, berries mostly). If I have one banana…that too would contribute to the total carbs.

1 Like

this sounds like fun! :yum:

3 Likes