MDI not working anymore

I switched from
Medtronic pump to MDI las January. Love the freedom. I was on Lyumjev and Tresiba then switched to humalog via InPen. Last few months feel like the Tresiba not working. I trend up without eating or anything different that night can figure. And would rather be back on Lyumjev. Has anyone ever noticed that their basal insulin not doing the job? Seriously thinking of looking into a new pump. Was against the control feature. Does anyone have suggestions for smaller pump? I love the freedom of pens but numbers out of control lately. Not sure why. Any help would be appreciated

Have you tried increasing the Tresiba dose?

Basal needs are not consistent. They can vary seasonally, with activity, with the amount of sleep you get, with the amount you eat, with stress, etc, etc.

3 Likes

When I changed from pump with humalog my basal was 16 units/day. On Tresiba up to 30 units. Decided to try injecting twice a day. Will see how this works. May switch to lantus or levemir when o run out of Tresiba. Thanks so much for responding.

Jane Cerullo

1 Like

Twice a day might help. Or more might help. It takes experimenting to find the right solution.

When going from a pump to MDI, or going from MDI to a pump, the “right” amount of basal is the amount that works right.

You can’t always translate amounts directly.

1 Like

Thanks Eric. Makes sense.

Jane Cerullo

1 Like

When the BG goes up all by itself for no reason around the same time each day, that’s a classic indication that more basal is needed during that time of day.

1 Like

Thanks you. Trying twice daily for injections first then will try adjusting. Have a happy new year

Jane Cerullo

2 Likes

@Jane17 I use 2x Lantus daily injections, MDI Humalog. I consistently have dawn phenomenon or “foot on the floor” (cannot predict which will hit, unfortunately), which is frustrating and I cannot control it with Lantus. Am pushing for a trial of Ozempic or another GLP-1 drug to see if that might help, but haven’t had luck getting a dr to prescribe it for me. Are you trending up at dawn? Or at any other consistent time of the day? Jessica

2 Likes

At dawn and daytime when I am working. Only work part time so can control daytime. And the dawn rise is unpredictable. Down not always happen. Maybe now that holidays are over may will reset.

Jane Cerullo

3 Likes

It is all so tricky. Definitely give the 2x daily a try. Once you figure that out, it may be worth trying “weighting” your two doses differently, depending on when you take each Lantus dose; e.g., a higher nighttime dose to try to combat the morning rise (usually this means taking a bedtime snack, at least for me, though). The other “one weird trick” thing that surprisingly does seem to work for me is jumping on my treadmill or stationary bike for 15 minutes and getting my blood moving (and insulin moved into cells). Good luck and keep us posted? Jessica

2 Likes

Thank so much. Today I gave myself 15 units of Tresiba in the am. Just gave myself 16 units. Fingers crossed. Will try changing up the dose. See Endo 1/31 so hope under control by then. I appreciate all the support. Your guys are the best.

Jane Cerullo

4 Likes

Hello all. So changes Tresiba to twice per day and added a few units. Doing 18 units both at night and morning. Saturday waking BS was 104 and Sunday 121. So far working for me. Thanks to all who responded and your suggestions. Still think may switch to lantus or levemir. Happy New Year :confetti_ball::fireworks:

Jane Cerullo

5 Likes