Maybe We Shoud Be Glad We Live in America

Actually, no.

Iā€™m fascinated to hear what restoration is on offer to prevent a root canal or crown. (No sarcasm intended - I want to take the best care of my teeth possible and that sounds like good info to have.)

@TravelingOn Most root canals are the result of carious exposure of the nerve. Caries always start out small and almost always can be easily and inexpensively treated with a simple filling. Itā€™s only when the caries has grown and is usually readily apparent (as a hole in the tooth) will the nerve be exposed.

This process takes several months, during which the patient is painfully aware that something is amiss.

That is fascinating! I was just at the dentist with my mom yesterday, and she has to have a crown replaced because there is a carie underneath it. When it was made, there was a shelf and stuff got stuck in there. But her dentist, who is my dentist that I love, was explaining that otherwise things are looking good.

I definitely feel motivated to take care of any cavities that might come up, between being there with Mom and hearing from you. :grimacing: :tooth:
:smiley: ( there really is not a good ā€œI will take care of my teethā€ emoji!)

2 Likes

When did they start calling cavities ā€˜cariesā€™ ?

Even my toothpaste now says it helps prevent dental caries.

Did I miss something? Or am I just a country bumpkin that says cavities

@Sam, it is a French word: much more elegant, obviously!

1 Like

It took me a long time to call the pound sign a hashtag. It will take longer for me to call a cavity anything other than a cavity.

@Sam Dental caries is the most prevalent disease in the world. It would be heresy to call something so important as caries ā€œa cavityā€.

Besides, dentists can charge more to restore a carious tooth than to plug a cavity.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a beauty :slight_smile: I couldnā€™t help laughing for a full minuteā€¦

1 Like

I am glad you were laughing!!! I was thinking I had better call my dentist and schedule an appointment. Sounds serious! Lol!

A week or so ago, I had taken my mom to the dentist where she found she needs a new crown, and also gotten an explanation from @docslotnick here about how getting small caries taken care of was the best way to prevent crowns and root canals down the road. And that night I got a toothache! For the first time ever basically. I think I had something stuck in my back gum, and itā€™s resolved on its own, but I was panicked! LOL!

1 Like

You should brush and floss so you donā€™t get caries!

2 Likes

You are a very wicked man, @Samā€¦

1 Like