Low Carb Nutrition Change

I just did a quick search on those breathalyzers and in summary got the feeling that the breathalyzer, not even a re-packaged Ketone-breathalyzer was the best option, more acurate than urine-simpler than pricking your finger and usable any time you think of it instead of waiting for the bathroom break, for the purpose. One site recommended this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K9PVG7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and his explanations convinced me.

If you feel that some info might get lost, feel free to split info off under different title. I only think that the actual results, I plan on posting weekly, should be coupled to a certain extend with what we ate and drunk. Discussions of alcohol and Keto and/or T1, or which breathalyzer, certain food discussions can obviously go into different threads. A low carb “dinner-ideas” would be great since probably almost everyone struggles to come up with ideas like “what’s up for dinner?”

For me, I am torn between a few things in my personal goal what started with that documentary and my take of it to reduce grains which morphed into Keto diet which morphed into Insulin reduction which certainly leads to weight reduction and back to Keto, and includes all kinds of “save the planet” thoughts and ideas as “pasture fed beef” vs feed-lots.

3 Likes

Interesting, here is a single case report of measuring ketones using the cheap breathalyzers. I wouldn’t have guessed that this would work. Apparently, you have to get the cheap ones because the more expensive ones are likely to screen out the acetone from nutritional ketoacidosis. I wouldn’t have even thought of that, thanks for pointing it out @John. Probably the blood meter is still better, but for just a quick check of status this probably works until they improve the products.

2 Likes

A breathalyzer seemed to be the most convenient, anytime solution. It is for info only to check whenever you think about it.

There is a load of different info out with extremely contradictory opinions about Glycemic index and Glycemic load as well as what and how carbs are absorbed by the body. There is a lot of bigotry involved in particular with alcohol which leads to opinions from “absolutely not” to “All dry wines fit well within a keto diet.” I remember times when your Endo was outraged when you confessed of drinking. Those opinions are still out there and in all reality have nothing to do with your health but your belief. The outrage just has gotten a bit more subtle and is masked by other concerns about alcohol. But well, the same goes on with marijuana. It is virtually impossible to discus values without running into bigotry somewhere as in “but the French and heart disease” to “alcohol is the devil”.

I basically just try to find foods and drinks with a low GI value and see how they work for me. Obviously there is a 30 year T1 experience involved how different things affect my levels which is and remains the most important thing in this whole thing. To find out how carbs from alcohol are absorbed by your body is up to every individual, depending on if they drink it or not. Free choice is everything.
Don’t forget that I am not necessarily documenting a “Keto-diet” but a general nutrition change with going back to a more natural diet with reducing grain and eliminating things that have been common for us for the past 200 years but have been detrimental to our health. I can easily imagine that our ancestors had a regular to high amount of carbs in their nutrition during the summer month but went Ketosis in the winter month. Now considered that our ancestors might not have been the “perfect healthy eater” either. So you can pick your evils and try to do it better. Maybe there is the perfect nutrition plan, maybe not. Heck, we can’t even agree on the perfect treatment plan for T1’s much less implement it. I am just loving my results at the moment, getting really cocky and wanting to set the range for TiR from 80-120 and aiming for 100% with less and less insulin.

If there were and it was universal, then someone would be making a lot of money. On the other hand, at least personal ancedotes seems like there are a number of factors that determine how many carbs will work for a person and their exercise/life goals, and very low carb (<30 per day), is certainly on option, but not right for every person. With that said, really glad it is working for you and you are happy with the results.

We only would be healthy, all of us, with no one getting rich of it. Bye bye Nestle and all of you who provide us with “our daily bread” and try to kill the mouth you feed.:joy:

1 Like

You may be using the wrong word, or confused about GI value. GI is Glycemic Index and a measure of how quickly the carb content of various foods gets into your blood and raises your blood sugar. Some high carb foods have a low GI value. Beans for example. Kidney beans have a GI of 24, which is quite low, but there are 32 grams of carb in a 2/3 cup serving. Which is why Bernstein says you can’t eat any legumes - because a single serving of kidney beans exceeds his maximum TOTAL daily carb limit.

Ketogenic is all about limiting the actual grams of carb you eat. It doesn’t matter whether they are fast carbs or slow carbs.

Also, when discussing wine and beer I am not referring to the alcohol content, since that is metabolized similar to fat. But are you aware that there is sugar in wine? Less than beer, but three small (5oz) glasses of wine is more than half the 30g ketogenic carb allowance for the day.

Ketogenic is hard because most vegetable foods contain countable amounts of carb, and the limitations are so severe that these foods must be largely avoided. Someone eating ketogenic is going to be forced to eat a lot of animal products (so much for “saving the planet”).

3 Likes

Thinking about what I wrote, please don’t think I’m questioning your diet or suggesting you should be eating something else. It actually sounds quite healthy to me since you’re eating a lot of salads and vegetables. Plus the only person’s opinion that matters is of course yours.

It’s just that I don’t think it is ketogenic, by the time you add up all the hidden carbs you’re eating, between the wine, the vegs, berries, etc. I think it would qualify as low carb, and certainly low GI. So maybe what I’m questioning is just the “ketogenic” label compounded by the fact that “ketogenic” is the latest way for the diet book authors/charletans to separate people from their money.

4 Likes

As I said it before and detailed in some other replies to Chris. This “whole thing” to me is an ever changing adventure with parts of ketogenic diet and approach but also a change in nutrition which might be keto-based but since Keto has become such a “cult” that this alone cannot be fully trusted by me. It is the nature of humanity to take good ideas and “eff” them up until it fits their underlying believe system. Best example probably is the invention of the GI-table and how this lead to the GL-table, different measurement, different approach. Why? One was not good enough? Or is there a hidden purpose behind it? I never wore a tin-foil hat, but my basic education was “humanistic” and that just makes me questioning everything.
There is only one scientific and measured requirement and hard fact in this which is T1, the Dexcom results, and a potential reduction in Insulin intake combined with a doable and enjoyable day-to-day life with changing nutrition. Everything else, as physical activity, job-stress and whatever might affects us, is still in “freeform” which allows everyone to question those results. I just find them remarkable and end with this quote and the result of the last 48 hours with a TiR with the set range of 70-140: 91% in range, 4% high, 5% low and an average of 97 mg/dl. All this with a 25% reduction in Insulin intake and a change in nutrition.

and just in case: TiR set range 80-120: 80% in range, 8% high, 11% low, no urgent lows with an average of 97 mg/dl.

4 Likes

FANTASTIC!! :star_struck:

2 Likes

I just wanted to update this… So the last couple of days I did actually reduce the amount of whipped, heavy cream in my morning coffee, from heaping tablespoon to heaping teaspoon. Delicious :coffee:! BGs no longer has the long, steady rise experienced w/ the heavy cream. In fact, my BG barely rises at all (for me w/ my breakfast mentioned above), this morning from 7am to 8am only a 20mg increase, and then remained stable. An hour later I went running to beat the pending snow storm so I will have to try this again tomorrow to see the full 4-5 hour timeframe of the reduced heavy cream.

I have heard that fat content could do this, but I am still amazed by the significant change, and how our bodies react, and fortunately, so far it seems to be a consistent reaction ! :wink:

Now if I can find some magic ingredient to have the same effect on my dinner! :spaghetti:

3 Likes

@John, I had to shorten your thread title some: it created alignment problems on some phones. I may have to shorten it a bit more if there are more alignment issues.

If you have an alternative, shorter title, by all means go ahead!

Great thread: love to see your excellent results coming. And—don’t stress if you eventually find it is too hard a diet to keep. Many Bernstein followers go on and off. The learning experience is great either way.

4 Likes

I love heavy cream or whipped cream but I get a similar effect of a long steady rise in BG after eating whipped cream which is somewhat hard to predict.

3 Likes

I notice the same. I mostly use milk or heavy cream now to cool the coffee a bit. Too much heavy cream does not have the cooling effect and actually tastes too heavy over the coffee flavor. Reducing it helps with the endresult of glucose levels and the basal holding it off at one point.

3 Likes

I shortened it to what it actually has become. “Low Carb Nutrition Change”. Where ever you need to mod in, feel free to do so.

3 Likes

jag1, reply below was meant for you. You’ve got me thinking again and I started to realize that it is indeed for me just a nutrition change, a radical approach of eating differently even considered that we ate “healthy” by todays recommended standards. So something was off for me, and very obviously with a lot of other people with the massive onslaught of obesity, diabetes, asthma, heart diseases and on and on. Media is calling it already partially an “epidemic”.
With that I started to think what has changed and what we all have in common. We all have to breath. Perfect, that explains asthma through polluted air. It has gotten better but think back to the 70’s. We had “no-car- Sundays”.
But what else? We all need to eat! And what we eat most likely has something to do with those epidemics. How do we change that? The same way we got milk on the shelves that are bGH free to the extend that you can’t even find milk with bGH anymore in my neck of the wood. The same with eggs. All of the sudden you have to figure out what the difference is between “free-range” and “cage-free”. All by popular demand.
Of course, this is much larger than just a few people asking the supermarket manager to carry certain items. This is on a global scale with the largest corporations on the planet and a way of thinking for 200 years and a lot of people who have no inclination of what is wrong with their nutrition. We, as diabetics, have a pretty good idea how “poisonous” fast-food chains are to our glucose levels.
Luckily enough for us here, we have choices and can easily change our nutrition without joining the Keto-Cult . Funny thing though. If you changed your diet to low-carb and you are happy that next step to Ketosis should be super easy, easier than any diet you have ever tried, without all the drawbacks of diets in cost, starving, and on and on. Oooops, there goes another business model of large dimensions.

2 Likes

update: TiR 90% in range, low 8%, very low 3% with an average of 90 mg/dl. For 2 days in a row, I dropped right after dinner and had a difficult time bringing up the levels. Basal levels are now adjusted from higher dosage during night and lower dosage during day to equal dosage throughout the day to account for developing trends. No further reduction from the original Insulin reduction of 25%. Bolus per day is now reduced by 50%.

Started “carb manager” and so far it looks like a 60%fat, 30% protein, 10% net carbs. With that I seem to be below the threshold for a ketosis state but readings are at 0.0 with 2 days of those data available.

4 Likes

Monday,February 25, 2019

weight: -3.8#’s
Bolus Reduction: about - 50%/24hrs
Basal Reduction: unchanged, about - 20%
Ketones: 0.0

and the most exciting, the Dexcom results last week:
edit: forgot to mention that new TiR settings are between 70-150/24hrs

and 4 days of nutritional info:

6 Likes

John, these are outstanding! The average BG is great, but I love the 26 SD!

3 Likes

@John Fabulous, yes, agree, SD of 26 is outstanding!

Great results! These are really quite impressive!!