Low-carb diet study

I always take these studies with a grain full shaker of salt. So I am not posting this because I believe it. There are probably many factors that were not properly considered.

But I thought people might find it interesting. Especially since they have apparently invented a time-machine, which seems like it would be the bigger story.
:grinning:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/low-carb-diet-linked-elevated-mortality-risk-study-233354036.html

2 Likes

Well, I canā€™t use that site due to the stupid video at the top being obnoxious and either locking the page up or interfering with my screen readerā€¦but I did get as far as this part:

ā€œFor the study, under 40 percent of energy intake from carbohydrates qualifies as a low-carb regimen, though many such diets reduce the share to 20 percent or less.ā€

So in other words, they werenā€™t studying a low-carb diet. If someone eats 2,000 calories a day, then 40% is 200 grams of carbohydrates a day. That is not a low-carb diet by any stretchā€¦

2 Likes

I think the interesting finding was that people who follow low-carb and elevate their animal-protein-based intake have higher risk of death, but that the risk goes down if people are getting the higher levels of protein from plant-based sources.

I think there were a few studies tying some particular protein in animal meat to an inflammatory process that messes up blood vessels. Taken with all the grains of salt of course, but I think thatā€™s a plausible explanation. Who knows of course if these results even make sense. But if they did and could be confirmed, that would be a logical explanation for why.

As for @Jenā€™s critique ā€“ well, thatā€™s definitely true. Most people on here eat way fewer carbs than is considered ā€œlow carbā€ ā€“ although obviously on a population cohort level these bins make sense because so few people are eating less than that. Also, on 2,000 calories a day, women typically eat around 1,500 calories a day ā€“ so that would be less than 150 g.

Women who are trying to lose weight? or maintain? Iā€™m curious about the 1500 calories since Iā€™m thinner than Iā€™d like and I need at least 2000 calories per day to maintain my weight, let alone gain.

1 Like

I think it varies by height but I eat about 1,400 calories a day and do not gain weight or lose it. If I want to lose weight I need to eat about 1,000 calories a day. I am short though ā€“ 5ā€™4" ā€“ and on the slender side. And Iā€™m not doing a ton of vigorous exercise.

But I would imagine that my activity levels are at least as much as the average American.

Iā€™m 5ā€™8" and 139 pounds. Iā€™m hoping to get back up to 145 pounds, though. Itā€™s been a slow process.

yeah so you are approximately close to the ā€œaverage 150-lb maleā€ thatā€™s used as a reference point for the 2,000-calorie diet in terms of height/weight. (Not to say you are manly or anythingā€¦just that from a height/weight perspective, youā€™re not far off from the person theyā€™re using as the benchmark for the 2,000-calorie diet).

2 Likes

The Lancet article is here: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

I noticed the definition of low-carb too. They do have a figure that goes down to 20% and the curve indicates the risk is higher the lower the carb percentage. There could be a lot of other confounding factors, of course. I havenā€™t dug into it enough yetā€¦but it does seem like they tried to remove the impact of diabetes from the study, so not sure how applicable the results are to us.

1 Like

hey T1Allison, i experience the exact same problem. i weighed myself this morning and came in at a whopping 100 lbs. my clothing is loose on me as well. i believe it is from all the swimming i do, but since i have been swimming, i have increased my carbs and my fat and my protein and my calories. still i cannot put on a pound. i raised my calorie intake from 1,500 to about 2,000, but apparently i need to try and get up to 2,500. what a bummer, huh? :wink:

btw, i am 5ā€™4" and medium boned.

1 Like