Living with diabetes is exhausting

Yep, me, too!! Now I’m looping though, and had to switch to iPhone which does not support standalone watch :frowning:

Then you sync the data using Nightscout?? Do you turn off your phone/watch while using the tablet?

1 Like

Sorry for the late response to your questions. Yes, I turn off the watch while using the tablet. When both were enabled there were occasional conflicts where both could not get the data from the Dexcom, Bluetooth conflict.
I do not use Nightscout. My endo is very satisfied with the statistical data from xDrip. With the statistical data a person can deduce from the deviations the maximum high and low BG levels. I try to keep my Standard Deviation less than 25 mg/dL with a Meian BG level about 105 to 110. She really likes the statistical data since she is one of the most analytical endocrinologists. I send the statistical information from both my tablet, night data, and the smart phone, day data.
I forgot to mention what I am using for my computer tablet. I am using an unusual device for this application. I am using the Amazon HD Fire 8. Granted this is not a truly Android device but close. I do get the error message while using xDrip+ that ‘Google Play Services is required but is not compatable with this device’. I ignore this error message since the Fire 8 works perfectly with the Dexcom G5 and gathering the BG information.
One other piece of technical information about the Dexcom transmitter battery. As you may already know there are two batteries in the G5 transmitter. These batteries are connected in series. When the battery information is shown the A value is the unloaded series battery voltage. The B value is the loaded voltage. The difference divided by the fixed value of design circuit current, about 180 microamps is the resistance. My existing battery shows A=314, actual 3.14 Volts, and B=294. With a load current of 180 microamps, 0.00018 amps the resistance calculates to 1055 ohms. The display value is 1123 ohms, (3.14 - 2.95)/ 0.00018 = 1055.

I have made an error in the above information. The Dexcom loaded current should be 17 microamps, not 18.

Wow, that is a great setup! Thanks for the details on your tablet, and the transmitter battery. I’m using G6 now with the Dexcom app on iPhone. I’d have liked to continue using xDrip+ as the collector but not possible on iPhone & Loop! I do still refer to xDrip+ Statistics and agree, this is a nice feature to easily monitor SD and TiR. Since starting Loop, I’ve set the hardware resource to Nightscout Follower and this allows me to see most of the data shown in Nightscout & Tidepool. xDrip+ is still missing the temp basals feature but I am hoping one of the devs will complete that feature soon! :slight_smile:

I am new to this forum, have been diabetic for 35 years, have an insulin pump and this is my first post.

I totally understand. Since day 1 I have never been in total control of my sugar levels. Its a 24/7 challenge that I have simply gotten used to but no one else understands what I go through with this and my husband is still clueless.

I recently joined Weight Watchers and my sugar levels have really gotten lower without sugar and lots of carbs in my diet. I have not eliminated them from my diet but doing better! I am not overweight but wanted to lose 10 pounds but lost 18 and now weigh 134 pounds.

I just put one foot in front of the other and keep going. It sounds like you have good family support which is wonderful, a huge blessing to be thankful for.

10 Likes

Welcome @Mparis184! We are glad to have you here on the forum! I’m sorry that you’re having the experience that folks around you are clueless. I know you’re not alone! But hopefully you’ll find help and understanding with the people here at FUD. :grin:

We appreciate your post and I’m sure with 35 years of experience you’ve got lots to share!

2 Likes

Hi @Mparis184 - welcome to the forum! Like you, after years of T1D I went low carb last summer and haven’t looked back. My diabetes has never been under better control

I completely understand how you feel. Most of the T1’s here feel the same way. Even our closest partners, friends and families look at insulin dosing the same way they look at gassing up their cars: Fill’er up and you should be good till the next time :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

i am addicted to doing something over and over again and getting the same results. it is very unfortunate that D doesnt care about this problem of mine. i have, for years and years, used Glucose Tablets to correct lows, as i found that consistantly, 4gms of carbs raises my BG by 20 points (obviously, this is not always the case, like if i am crashing). but i LOVE knowing that within 1/2 hour i will get almost the full effect of the Gtab and what to expect.

well, even better than Smarties, i think, is CHOCOLATE :wink: .i found LINDT dark chocolate (i like the one with the sea salt in it) raises my blood sugars the exact same amount as my trusty Gtabs. and, OMG, what could be more delightful than chocolate for making an uncomfortable situation a little treasure :rofl:

6 Likes

I have a bag of Hershey’s Nuggets in my fridge, too. Smarties, like the more expensive gluTablets or the less convenient juice bottle, is pure sucrose and the body metabolizes it quickly. If I am experiencing a very low episode, say BG between 50-60, three Smarties will bring me back to the low 100’s in just a few minutes. Chocolate, while it tastes infinitely better metabolizes much slower because of the fat in chocolate. 18g of carbs in chocolate takes thirty minutes to an hour to show up in my BG readings. If I see my BG dropping slowly, 90, 80, 70- and it’s more than an hour to my next meal, then I’ll dose myself with a couple of Hershey’s Nuggets.

3 Likes

Steve,

Same here for Smarties. Pedantic point:. They are dextrose, which is the same as glucose. I don’t believe sucrose is metabolized in the same way as glucose

1 Like

i prefer using the glucose tabs because they are so predictable. i like predictable :wink:. if i go down to 30 -40, i will drink apple cider, though.its much faster, but not as accurate for me. i never know how much to drink, and my husband is ALWAYS standing over me screaming “MORE! MORE! MORE!” :crazy_face:

2 Likes

my husband and i just celebrated 26 years of marriage in June. i was D when we first met, and, obviously, D when we married. he STILL doesnt get so much of it. he doesnt understand why i give myself insulin when my BG is 70 and i want to have a sandwich. he doesnt understand that i dont need to drink 1 Gallon of juice when my BG is 50. he is forever saying, " its better to be high than low." but what is “high” for him and what is “high” for me are 2 different things. same goes for his perception of what being LOW is. and dont even mention family :rofl: !!! my father still cannot pronounce Diabetes properly (after all of these years), much less understand my diet. he pushes ice cream on me like a drug dealer pushes drugs on a junkie.

3 Likes

I also take acetyl l carnitine and alpha lipoid acid… for nerve protection… in a 500mg/200mg dose

1 Like