Living with diabetes is exhausting

Oh my gosh. I have been saying the exact same thing over the last week or so. Diabetes is a relentless, constant issue that we have to manage every minute of the day and night.
I have been doing this for almost 50 years as a Type 1 and I am absolutely exhausted by all of it. Testing, managing all the ups and downs, not eating carbs, then having to eat some carbs and my blood sugar goes for 2.8 to 15 from less than a 1/4 cup of apple juice. I sometimes just feel like giving up on all this.
And then I realize that I will feel so lousy if I don’t take care of myself well. But I hear you loud and clear Allison. And I can relate to how you’re feeling.
Sometimes we just need to rant about it for a while. It will probably feel better in a few hours or perhaps later tonight.
All the best to you!

12 Likes

Yes, exactly! Just need to take a breath, do what works, and keep plugging away. Thanks for reading and responding to my own rant :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Sending hugs :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Your not ranting Allison, just expressing the many frustrations we all face as diabetics! That is what makes this such a fantastic site, we all understand and are empathetic with what you are experiencing. Like Elver stated, diabetes is like running a marathon in which you never make it to the finish line…totally agree! Hang in there Allison, we are all with you!

4 Likes

I know exactly what you are talking about I have had good friends ask me if I am feeling sorry for myself when I vent about having Diabetes so I try not to anymore.I have had T1 for 48 years and believe me no two days are alike no matter what we do. Today I’m running low and have been since 7PM last night it is noon now the next day.I was up every two hours checking glucose levels last night very tired today.Allison when you say think I would have figured it out by now with all the stress and emotional things in our lives sorry to say every day is a different story.I totally understand what you are going through give yourself high credit for coming this far and doing what you have done. This disease is cruel and exhausting but I applaud you for being strong we have no choice keep doing what you are doing you are an inspiration to me and our other Diabetic friends.

11 Likes

Wow, 48 years is incredible! Thanks for your insight… wish we all had it easier!

5 Likes

Ohhh my Lord I hear you I feel you and I’ve been there. I’m sending a big hug. And a wish for God to make the burden lighter. The only thing that gets me out of it is thinking to myself. My life gets to be normal sometimes. And there are so many people who are sick and don’t get to be normal at all… even though every ounce of their beings screams for it. so if I have to have a burden I guess this one is better than another. May God hear our prayers and bring healing to us all :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Allison; I just had to reply to your frustration. I am sure that we all get frustrated at times. First let me give some of my background. I have been a type 1 for 45 years with no known complications. I say that with some reservations. I did have a reported complication of diabetic retinopathy. That was fixed by maintaining a relatively low BG level. Recently I found a book by Dr. Richard Bernstein which I highly recommend. He has been a type 1 for the last 67 years. For the last 2 years I was also introduced to the Dexcom CGM system. This was a very good item that was added by my endo. Of course the Dexcom was not the perfect solution since it either required the relatively large Dexcom receiver or a cell phone. I decided that the xDrip+ solution was the absolute best solution. This allowed me to use a stand-alone watch while doing my endurance runs. This was a very good addition to monitoring my BG levels during the day but I still had a problem at night when I was recharging the watch. I solved that problem by using a computer with xDrip+ installed to monitor my Dexcom during the night. The computer not only displays the BG levels but also warns if there is a problem with a possible low or high condition. I realy like solving the problems with monitoring my BG levels at all times. One big plus is an A1C level below 6. Right now I have an A1C at 5.8 for the last 60 days, still a little high for my system. I hope this might help you or others to work with solving any problem.

7 Likes

Thanks for your comments. I have had the Dexcom system for almost 6 years. It’s been a real game-changer. My A1c dropped significantly once I got it. I wear a Pebble watch and have a Tandem pump, so I have easy access to my numbers. I bought Dr. Bernstein’s book many years ago, but find his method of carb restriction too difficult to maintain for a long period of time. When I eat low-carb (not super strict) I do have better numbers, but I also want to have food I like and not deprive myself, so for me, it’s not worth it. Relaxed low carb seems to produce the best outcomes for me…

6 Likes

Love that expression! :smiley_cat:

7 Likes

It sounds nicer than “lazy” low carb! Lol

5 Likes

Yeah - I feel like I’m always “calculating” in a perpetual algorithmic mode. And the math varies… :frowning:

I take thiamine, carnosine, vitamin e, and taurine and a couple others to cover any complications risks so I don’t stress over occasional high blood sugars.

Thiamine - very cheap less then $7 a month.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18220605/

Taurine - very cheap less then $10 a month

Thanks for posting. Interesting article. I’ve not heard of taurine and other supplements as being useful in preventing diabetes complications for T1D.

Wow. Couldn’t be better said.

“I was up every two hours checking glucose levels last night very tired today.”
I am celebrating my one-year anniversary of using the G6. Before going on the G6 to monitor my BG, it was not unusual for my wife to wake up hearing me slurring my words, making no sense and generally disoriented. It didn’t take too many such episodes for her to know that this was classic hypoglycemia. A finger-stick showed me in the low 40’s. I would drink a small bottle of fruit juice kept on my nightstand for this, and 15-minutes later we were both sleeping again. Since using the G6, I have not had a single episode of overnight hypoglycemia that resulted in my almost dysfunctional confusion. My phone is set to alarm if my BG goes below 60, and it doesn’t even wake my wife. I take some glucose and go back to sleep. Everyone is happy. Except the makers of Glucose tablets- compare the “dietary panel” of expensive glucose tablets with Smarties candies. If you did not know which was from which product, you would not be able to tell the difference. Smarties are a fraction of the cost of glucose tablets. A 5-pound bag from Amazon lasts me more than 6-months.

3 Likes

This is great. I’m so glad the G6 is working well for you. Also, if you are on a supported pump, one of the APS software apps might help to keep you more stable during the night so that you don’t have the lows. At least Loop is helping me. It is a big effort at first, but it can help to keep you in range.

1 Like

That’s excellent!

I’m the “wife” in our situation, and my diabetic partner sleeps through the alarms. :rofl: Maybe you can get your wife to write a manual for sleeping that I can follow?

Joking aside, the Dexcom has made life much easier and I’m thankful for it! And I can make corrections or wake EH with a juice bottle easily now. :grinning: No complaints!

2 Likes

And they taste a LOT better!! :smile_cat:

5 Likes

I got these “soft chew” glucose chews for EH because of the flavor. He remembered having chocolate chip cookie dough tabs once that were good. Well, these were NOT them. And to boot, they’re nearly impossible for anyone to open. He’s been eating them as to not waste them, but watching him struggle to open them when low and then gag them down is both sad and very funny (because sometimes you just have to laugh). It takes two people to get into the package and then you can hear him crunching the soft chews. So silly! We don’t recommend!

Maybe I should buy smarties finally! :laughing:

3 Likes

Hi DMAC,
I am very similar to you - Type 1 diabetic for 48 years with no known complications except some hypoglycemic unawareness which has not been rearing its ugly head for quite some time. My last A1C was 6.1.
I started using Tresiba about 3 years ago and it really changed my life. I also have a Dexcom G5 which has been quite great too. I think I will have a look at the Dr. Bernstein book also. I basically keep all my carbs low and I feel quite great. It is a whole lot of work being Type 1 but I do have to work at it. I feel very lucky and blessed and really fund this forum to be very informative. Take care and bravo to you too!
Sheryl

2 Likes

Sheryl: It sounds like you are doing well with your diabetes. I try to keep my A1C below 6.0. My last A1C was 5.8. I also have the Dexcom G5 but do not now use the Dexcom receiver. What has greatly improved my management is the use of a smart watch that works as a stand-alone collector of the Dexcom BG levels. I need the stand-alone watch since I don’t want to carry a smart phone during my endurance runs. The watch has all of the warnings of the Dexcom receiver but also keeps the data in memory until it connects with my smart phone.
I did have one problem at night when I needed to charge the smart-watch battery and had to remove the watch. What I did was to use a computer tablet to also connect with the Dexcom G5 transmitter. The tablet works independent of any smart phone or my watch. It keeps an independent record of my BG levels. It also announces my BG levels during the night and gives any warning of a high or low above my programmed levels in addition to any rapid changes.
All of my collectors; smart-phone, watch and tablet, use the xDrip+ application.
Dennis

3 Likes