Learning How To Bolus

Hi @Necroplasm
I wanted to clarify with you some of our discussion. We may not have been on the same page with our phrasing!

When I was referring to a “bad pod”, I was talking about one that has an occlusion or an electronic error. One where you end up getting an alarm or an error code.

The other thing which you mentioned was a “failed pod”. I guess a “failed pod” is a broader term. Like if a pod is doing what it is supposed to do - pushing out little bits of insulin - but it is not working for the person wearing it. Like the site is not absorbing, or the cannula is loose or something like that.

So when I was saying the pods are okay, I meant that they are doing what they are intended to do, but for whatever reason, that pod is somehow not working well for you. So maybe it is not a “bad” pod, but since it is not working, it is still a “failed” pod.

I recommend getting comfortable with this by checking every single pod you wear. Remove it before deactivating it, and do a bolus. You should see insulin come out of the cannula tip.

Maybe that pod was not working for you, but if you see insulin coming out of it, then you know the pod was doing what is is supposed to do, but there is a different issue to figure out.

If you ever have a pod that is still active, and after removing it you do a bolus and nothing comes out, that’s something that would need to be reported in a big way. Like that is a huge deal for Insulet. That is indeed a major failure. If there is no alarm, but insulin does not come out, that is really huge for them. Sell your stock.

When I first started using them, I was using Humalog. I was ready to quit them. But then after much research, I learned that NovoLog is much more resilient to breakdown in a pump. Switching to NovoLog made a huge difference and I am still on the pump 5 years later.

If you have enough failures, it might be worth trying NovoLog to see if that is more consistent. I can send you some. I have barrels. I am like the OPEC of insulin.

5 Likes