Keto & diabetes type 1

I really think keto is a poor choice for some people with diabetes. My son used to shoot up into the300s with scrambled eggs; he used the same amount of insulin as he did if he were eating a plate of pancakes.

I don’t know exactly why – I have theories related to cholesterol, fat, basal metabolism and insulin resistance – but for us, we do much better when my son eats a plentiful amount of carbs and keeps the fat low when he eats those carbs. So, a plate of pasta with tomato sauce will require much less insulin than a piece of pizza with fewer carbs, likely because of the cheese. But if he eats three slices of cheese as a snack in the afternoon, it has no effect on his blood sugar. On average, at age 7 he eats between 120 and 150g of carbs a day.

If there is no specific reason you’re going keto or if it’s because you are trying to manage your blood sugar, I’d try dropping it. You can see it as having done an experiment, and the results are in – it doesn’t work for you. Maybe your sweet spot is 60g of carbs a day, or maybe it’s 100g or even 200g. But it’s definitely not less than 30g.

If you are committed to the diet for other reasons, the extended bolus could help, or you could consider taking some supplemental medication, like metformin or a GLP-1 agonist, to maybe help the insulin be a little bit more powerful?

3 Likes

8 hours is about how long it takes for our son to come down after a pizza meal, or even 10…

6 Likes

We are 6-10 hours also. Anytime Liam has pizza at 6PM i always turn on a double override before he goes to bed otherwise he will go to 250 or 300 and stay there most of these night.

I’ve learned to turn that on even if my gut is telling new he won’t go high… Where pizza is concerned my gut is always wrong.

3 Likes

What does that mean? What is “turning on an override?” What is a “double override?”

2 Likes

Looping (Omniloop) provides us the ability to turn on an “override” which is a configurable option where we can tell loop…give x amount more (or less) insulin for y amount of time. So, when he has pizza, I tell loop - give Liam 100% insulin more insulin for 6 hours, when it’s bedtime. Or, 50% more and if I see that’s not enough, I put on the “double” (100% more) override.

2 Likes

So first off, I want to thank everyone for their support. I have decided that keto is not for me as per my blood glucose levels. I have gone back to my carbs (not as many as before) and have been seeing MUCH better numbers.

As I said before, diligence and balance!

Have a wonderful holiday season everyone!

4 Likes

So glad you have found something that works for you! Do have a wonderful holiday season. First up, Thanksgiving turkey, ham, pumpkin pie (full sugar and bourbon), it is going to be a great eating week coming up.

3 Likes

Bourbon, now there’s an idea… :tumbler_glass: :pie:

My only concession is to make a GF pecan meal crust for my husband. :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Full sugar and Bourbon! Absolutely!

2 Likes

My family really likes 1/4 cup of Jim Beam added to the pie. It is such a smooth bourbon that it doesn’t overwhelm the pie flavor. When we don’t have any bourbon the kids look at us like something is wrong, and when we tried other whiskey types they didn’t eat it until it was the only one left. So it is Jim Beam for us.

4 Likes

Gotta keep that in mind. Thanks!

1 Like