Jay Cutler on diabetes prepping for games

It is not as extensive as I would have liked, but still interesting, if only for background:
http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4679925/cutler

More info about his MO:
https://www.diabeteshealth.com/number-six-and-diabetes-jay-cutler-on-numbers/

Synthesizing between the two articles and reading between the lines:

• He pays careful attention to IOB before starting

• He minimizes IOB before a game by eating few carbs

• He starts a game between 100 and 150

• He checks his BG every time he comes out

2 Likes

That’s what I call “Unlimited”!

1 Like

I wonder why he doesn’t use dexcom…I can understand that it could be ripped off–but if their offensive line is doing their job…lol

2 Likes

This is what I was wondering!!

I understand why. It can be so far off during sports. Dangerously so.

Getting “no” information is actually better than getting “wrong” information.

3 Likes

I can totally understand that for you, @Eric – or possibly even for my son after a 2-hour swim practice. But for Jay Cutler – what are the stats for football, 8 minutes of actual action per game?

Yes, but in those 8 minutes you have to recover from two dozen car crashes. Can you imagine getting hit by these guys at full speed when you are the little quarterback. Shiver…

Warning Shameless plug for my favorite mid-market team. Sorry Cheese-heads.

1 Like

But it is intense adrenaline and quick bursts of energy using the ATP–CP system. I am sure he could spike quickly with Dexcom never figuring it out.

2 Likes

So you would say that for football the main risk is spiking high, not dropping low?

Absolutely for games, because of the hormones - cortisol, epinephrine /adrenaline. Having a 300 pound dude chase you around and trying to squash you would absolutely create hormone spikes. Or trying to run a 2 minute drill and win a game.

Plus, he is just doing quick bursts. 10 seconds all out, followed by 45 seconds of rest. That is akin to high-intensity interval training (HIIT). It is sprint followed by rest. That is a perfect recipe for spiking.

Practice would probably be much different.

2 Likes