Is there such as thing as mild gastroparesis?

I should clarify my statement a bit by saying that I DO think there is a time and place for lots of testing, especially with things like rare diseases (which I think the US is better at treating than other countries). But I’m in a lot of health-related Facebook groups where I see people posting pages and pages of “routine” testing. Here a doctor generally doesn’t test for something unless there are specific symptoms or something the needs monitoring for a specific reason.

1 Like

It seems, however, that food absorption is slower at night for him, while he is asleep.

Absolutely true for our son as well. Pizza could cause a high all night long if eaten before bed, whereas during the day we know it would be out of his system in 4 hours max.

3 Likes

Exactly the same effect occurs with Liam.

1 Like

@Sam, @Jen - I have gastroparesis. I call it ‘mild’ because I don’t feel nauseous and I don’t vomit. If I eat large volumes of food at one time, especially foods high in fat or protein, I feel like it sits in my stomach forever and I generally don’t feel well. I use extended boluses a lot to help manage my BGs. I took domperidone for a bit to help with motility, but I didn’t like the side effects, so I manage it myself by eating smaller meals with only small amounts of fat/protein. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago and it has not progressed. This is mainly due to improving my BGs via pump/CGM, and also eating a healthier diet.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that you have gastroparesis: from all I read I can’t be fun. But it is great that it is not progressing for you!

Do you get flareups?

Btw, @daisymae was asking a question about gastroparesis in another thread, not sure if you have info that might help?

Wishing you a belated welcome on the site, @Lisa! We were off to Canada when you joined :slight_smile:

1 Like

thx MaryPat. i checked out the thread, but there was little that was helpful to me as i dont have “mild” gastroparesis; i have full blown flare ups that are miserable. i havent had a flare up in many months( thank goodness for that )

but i appreciate your direction to that thread. you’re very kind to me, always :sunny:

2 Likes

@MaryPat thanks for the welcome.

I’ve been very lucky so far with my gastroparesis and have been able to manage it without any medications. I don’t have any flareups. It only gets worse when I do something to aggravate it, like eating too much or eating the wrong foods (the holidays did not help the situation!).

But I am happy to say that I have had T1D for 44 years and that is my only complication which has been totally manageable so far.

I hope you had fun in Canada!

2 Likes