Insulin storage temperature: bad logic makes bad studies

This study spent a long time proving that insulin in a regular fridge is often exposed to temperatures outside its official storage range (as if it came as a surprise to most of us):

Medical News Today: Diabetes: Fridge temperature may make insulin less effective.

Unfortunately, they appear to have forgotten to prove that such temperature variations would impact insulin efficiency… Their conclusion:

Dr. Braune […] warns, “More research is needed to examine the extent to which temperature deviations during domestic storage affect insulin efficacy and patient outcomes.”

Bad logic = bad studies

3 Likes

I found out after I started using MedAngel that the spot that I was keeping my insulin in the fridge was way too cold. So I moved my insulin to another spot where the temperature fell within the proper range. But I had kept it in the previous spot for at least 10 years (around when I got a new fridge) and I have never had any problems with my insulin. Anyway, I trust @Eric’s experiments more than these studies :smile:

4 Likes

They should put some of their temperature sensors in my car, and in @Chris’s freezer. :rofl:

They installed temperature sensors next to the volunteers’ home fridges or in their diabetes bags. These sensors took measurements automatically every 3 minutes, or 480 times per day, for a period of 49 days.

4 Likes